1.1

"You don't have anything nice to wear Charlie." Bella says as she searches my closet.

"That's not true. I have the clothes you bought for me." I say.

"Yeah okay. But you are going to a concert."

"Jazz concert."

"A musical concert and you need to look your best." Bella searches my closet for the tenth time and settles on a mid sleeve black dress that fans out a little a couple inches from my knee and black flats. I let my hair down loose and put a gray beanie.

"I'm so proud." Bella puts her hand over her eyes to wipe away "tears". Reed comes into my room and I show his my outfit. As if I was girly, I spin around and take a bow.

"I don't like that." He says protectively. "I like the long dress in the closet."

"No." Bella argues. "The temperature is 68°. That's like the night out for us."

"Fine. You will be pack at 9:58."

"So spefic." Bella says.

"So Reed." I giggle.

***

The cello, trumpet, drums, trombone, saxophone and piano worked so well together. It doesn't matter how off beat the jazz may sound but it somehow always is on key.

Across the audience you can see everybody rocking in their seats to the beat of the music. Left, sway, right. Left sway right. Some people are snapping their fingers others are taping their feet but no ones clapping.
After the concert, I still heard the seven hunters' drums. "I loved watching your face while you listened. You were amazed and calmed and...and--"

"I love jazz. Let's put it that way." Dylan nods his head and puts his arm around me. I know I should remove his hand but I...can't.

"Okay Coco. Favorite jazz instrument?"

"Ummm. Saxophone." I answer as Dylan removes his arm to give a smoke from his left pocket.

"Are you serious?" I ask and scoff. "Like what if I was going to kiss you. Know your breath will taste like shit. Plus, you said you smoke 'occasionally'"

"Occasionally." He repeats. Why did he do that?

"What's wrong?" I ask him as he blows a puff. His lungs probably look like shit.

"Its..." He sucks on his lower lip. "What are we Coco? You'll probably call me insecure for asking this but what are we?"

That's what you're stressing about? What we are? Honey, sit the fuck down and listen to my story.

But you know what I wanna know too Charlie. What are 'we'. Boyfriend? Wait, you can't call him your boyfriend because you have one. Or do you want to make it official that you're cheating. *i love Charlie's inner me*

"What are we." I repeat in a statement. "Well we definitely aren't 'friends'. I mean you kissed my neck."

Dylan laughs and blows another puff.

Shit man. What are you guys? You could say boyfriend but, oh yeah, THATS CHEATING. oh wait, YOU ARE CHEATING.

"Most people would call our relationship--" I cringe at relationship. That's right cheating bitch cringe. Let my sense get through you. "Boyfriend Girlfriend status. Thinking how we've been on a couple dates. Including this one."

"Mmmm." I say in agreement.

"So what are we Coco?" Dylan inches towards my face. Let I remind you honey, he just smoked. The smoke is in his hand. We ain't kissing smokey lips.

God. Dylan's lips are so kissable and I really, really want to. But you won't. Right. I won't. Dylan's lips are inches away from my face. I think that my hand and put it in front of his face.

"No, no. No, no, no. Me no kissy smokey lips. Okay Smokey?" I turn my head and adjust the beanie on my head. Its cold.

"Do you realize you're shaking?" Dylan observes as he takes off his jacket and puts it around my shoulders.

"Thanks." I smile and Dylan puts out his smoke and wraps his arm around me.

***

After school the next day I walk into the Coffee House with Bella. As I walk in, I see a couple. From looking at the back of their head they're forty something. Reed's talking to them but he doesn't want to. His face shows that he's forced to talk. What if you're being robbed?  Nah there would be a different facial expression. C'mon Charlie! Sherlock Holmes this ish.

"Who are they?" Bella asks and I shrug my shoulders. I walk toward the counter and start to fix myself coffee.

I glance at the couple but I don't fully see them. The male is dark skinned. More like Reed's color but, the female is my skin tone with my curls. Weird.

I look up and these people lighten up as I look at them. Suddenly, I get a flashback to eight year old me getting handed a suitcase and my teddy bear as I'm kicked out my house.

The female then speaks:

"Charlotte my little nína."

***

Oh. The tension in this chapter is real. I thought that it's time for you to learn Charlie's background her family. Time to understand why she uses sarcasm and eating to hide her emotions.

10-12 reads
2-3 votes *vote to update faster*
1-2 comments