Chapter One

Niall's POV

"Hey faggot," Jason spat at me, slamming me against my locker. I bit my lip to keep from screaming out in pain. The halls were empty and there weren't any teachers around. Basically, nothing could stop  Jason from ending me right here, right now. I have nothing to live for anyway. He's just doing me a favor.  "Not talking back today, huh?" 

I clenched my jaw, looking straight ahead at the row of lockers behind him. He grabbed the front of my shirt, pulling me forward, then slamming me back forcefully again, "You're pathetic. You don't even have the will to fight back!"

"Jason, let him go," someone said from the right end of the hallway. He looked over at the bloke, nodded, and released his grip, walking down the other end and going up the staircase. Fucking hell, I thought as I watched him leave.

"Are you alright?" I looked up to see a lad I had never noticed before. He had brown curls that seemed to sit perfectly on top of his head without much effort and shinning green eyes. I didn't respond, and he spoke again, "Don't let Jason get to you. He's always liked pushing people around for fun."

"Who are you?" I asked, puzzled by the fact that he was talking to me.

"Harry Styles," he stuck his hand out for me to shake. I looked at him warily, grabbed my book bag from the ground, then began walking in the direction of my art class.

"Wait! What's your name?" he asked.

"It doesn't matter," I said, harshly, turning at the corner of the hallway. 260, 261, 262, 263, 264, I stood in front of the door, taking a deep breath before turning the handle and entering the room. 

"Thank you for joining us, Mr. Horan," Mr. Jones said from his desk. "Take a seat."

I kept my head down as I walked to the very back and sat down near the window. "Today you will have the whole class period for a free draw. You can sketch whatever you like, as long as it is school appropriate, of course."

A few students snickered from the other end of the room. "Well, get to work! What are you all waiting for?"

Everyone left their tables to gather their supplies, and I waited until almost every person was seated before I stood up. I walked to the front of the room, grabbed a piece of paper and a pencil, then walked back towards my table. I got out my iPod and put in my ear buds. I put it on shuffle and looked out the window. The sky was a dark gray and the rain was pouring down hard. I'm not looking forward to walking home. I began my sketch, looking through the window every now and then.

This is how I show my love

I made in my mind because

I blame it on my ADD baby

This is how an angel cries

I blame it on my own sick pride

Blame it on my ADD baby

Sail

By the time the bell rang, my drawing was complete. I put my iPod back in my bag, and slung it over my shoulder. I grabbed the paper and pencil, walking up to Mr. Jones' desk. I put the pencil back in the bin, and set the drawing on the top of the pile. "Niall, could I speak to you for a moment?"

I nodded, and waited impatiently for him to continue. "Why were you late to class this morning? This happens at least two to three times a week. It has to stop or I'll have to give you a detention."

"Sorry sir, my locker was jammed," I said. "It wont happen again."

He looked at me and I was almost sure he saw through my lie, but he nodded and dismissed me. As soon as I walked out of the classroom, I let out a sigh of relief. I heard a familiar voice coming towards me, and I ran into the nearest restroom.

"You should have seen him, he's so weak," Jason chuckled.

"I'm surprised he hasn't killed himself yet," another lad named Chris said. "He would be doing society a favor."

I waited until I could no longer hear their footsteps, and came out of hiding. I walked in the opposite direction to Maths, and made it only a second before the bell rang. I put my hood up and layed my head down on the desk, blocking the teacher's voice out.

----------------------------------------------------

By the time I got home, I was drenched from head to toe. Shivering, I kicked off my shoes and ran up the stairs quickly. I walked into my room, dropping my book bag next to my desk. I ripped off my clothes and threw them in a pile by the bathroom door. I changed into a pair of sweats and a dry t-shirt, then slipped under my covers, not bothering to do any homework. I closed my eyes, almost instantly slipping into a realm of nightmares.

"You got what you deserved," my father shouted. "No son of mine is going to be gay! This is a sin."

"B-but dad," I whimpered. He slapped me, causing me to fall backwards into the wall. I gasped, holding my cheek.

"Get out," he said, through gritted teeth.

"What?" I asked in shock.

"I said, get out! You're disgusting."

I sat up, gasping for air. I looked at the digital clock on my nightstand. 6:23 pm. Groaning, I fell back into my pillows. There was a knock on my door, and Greg entered my room, "Hey Ni."

"Hey," I mumbled.

"How was school?" he asked, sitting on the edge of my bed.

"Fine," I said, rubbing my eyes.

He looked at the pile of wet clothes near my bathroom door, "I'm sorry I couldn't pick you up today."

"It's okay, don't worry about it," I yawned.

"You have bags under your eyes," Greg pointed out. "Are you having nightmares again?"

"No," I lied. "School's getting to me s'all."

"Alright," he stood up from my bed. "Did you eat yet? There's some left over pasta in the fridge if you want any."

I shook my head, "I'm not hungry."

He looked at me with a worried expression, "You know you can tell me anything, right? I'm your brother, Niall. I care about you."

"I know, Greg," I sighed. "I'm honestly fine."

"Okay," he smiled slightly, squeezing my shoulder. I flinched at the pain, but managed to smile back. "I'll be in my room if you need anything. Oh, by the way, mum is working overtime. She won't be home until tomorrow afternoon."

I nodded, and he left my room, closing the door behind him. I got out of my bed and walked into the bathroom. I turned the light on and stared at my reflection. My brown roots are growing in, my eyes are too blue, I'm too pale, I have no muscle, I have braces. I'm not even slightly appealing. I pulled off my shirt to inspect the damage from earlier this morning. I traced my fingers over the large bruise, starting at my left shoulder, and going all the way down to the middle of my back.

I thought back to what Chris has said earlier, I'm surprised he hasn't killed himself yet. He would be doing society a favor. I put my shirt back on and switched off the light. I got back into my bed, enjoying the warmth of my sheets. I stared up at the ceiling, getting lost in my thoughts until my eyes began to feel heavy and I fell into a restless sleep.

A/N:

So here's the first chapter! I'm actually really pumped about writing this one. I have a lot of ideas, but I'm not sure how they're gonna work out.. I'm kinda just going with the flow, yanno? xD Oooh, that kind of rhymed. Anyways, dedicated to Olivia for once again making me a wonderful cover and because I love her more than penguins.

-Karina