Chapter Six

Harry's POV

I changed for practice feeling utterly empty. Louis had asked me what was wrong, but I simply told him that I was exhausted, which was partly true. Closing my locker, I trudged out to the field. "You're late, Styles," Coach said.

"Sorry," I mumbled, taking my place in line behind Zayn.

"Are you doing okay, mate? You seem off," Zayn put a hand on my shoulder, giving it a light squeeze.

"I'm fine," I lied, smiling weakly. He nodded, going up to kick the ball into the net.

I keep picturing the look on Niall's face when he told me how he felt. I hurt him. I ruined whatever chance I had at earning his trust entirely. I'd learned how stubborn he could be, so I didn't bother going after him. I'm so fucking stupid. When Caroline approached me this afternoon, I wasn't thinking clearly.

"Harry," she purred, running her hands down my arms.

"Caroline," I warned. "What are you doing?"

"You haven't paid any attention to me since you started tutoring that bloke," Caroline played with the collar of my shirt.

I groaned internally, "I'm sorry, babe."

"Maybe you could come over to mine after football practice?" she bit her lip, trying to look seductive.

"I don't know," I sighed. Caroline pushed me back against the lockers, smashing her lips on mine. I responded automatically, putting my hands on her waist and she snaked her arms around my neck. I heard a cough, and we pulled apart.

"Oh," Caroline said. "It's you."

"Uh, sorry for interrupting. I'll be going, I guess," Niall headed towards the double doors, walking out of the school.

"Niall!" I shouted, running after him. He didn't stop, but I continued to follow him. "What the hell, Ni? Why are you ignoring me?"

He turned around, giving me a look of disbelief, "Are you really asking me that right now?"

I frowned, "Yeah, I am."

"You were my first, Harry. I thought last night meant something to you, but obviously not."

I snapped out of my thoughts when something collided with the side of my head and I felt myself fall. "Harry!" I heard someone yell, but I was already slipping out of consciousness.

----------------

I tried to open my eyes, but it felt like they were glued shut. There was pressure on my hand and murmuring in the background. "He should be waking up soon," someone said.

A female voice spoke, "I'm just going to grab something to eat from the cafeteria. I'll be back in half an hour."

"Alright, I'll stay here with him."

A door opened, then closed. I managed to pry my eyes open, blinking rapidly at the bright light. I groaned, turning onto my side, "Niall?"

"Oh, you're awake," he let go of my hand, but I quickly reached out to intertwine our fingers. "Harry, what are you doing?"

"I'm sorry," I croaked, my throat dry.

"I'll be right back," Niall stood up, leaving me alone in the room. He returned shortly with a cup water, handing it to me.

"Thanks," I said after I took a sip and put the cup down.

"No problem," he sighed, sitting down in a chair next to the bed. "The doctor said you got hit pretty hard. You have a concussion."