4: THE WAY TO PALUA PAE

PHOTO above - blond New Guinea kanaka boy

Brad and Clint learn the story of the island lost in time ...

**

Brad knocked on the wood slat door of the small bungalow at the path's end. He and Clint exchanged a brief glance as they waited. Neither of them had any idea what to expect, but they hoped to at least get some information about where Mr. Cooper and Dr. Pullman were headed.

A melodious woman's voice called from inside. "Hello? Who is there?"

Brad spoke right at the door. "My name is Brad Cooper. My dad was here a few days ago with another man, seeking information." He hesitated, deciding it was best not to mention The City of Death just yet, not knowing what kind of reaction it might cause. "Now they've gone away and I believe they're in danger. Can you help me? Please! I'm worried about my dad."

The door was wrenched opened with such sudden force that it startled both Brad and Clint. Standing there, much to their surprise, was a boy their own age who had an angry expression on his face. His big strong hand gripped the door, his muscles tensed.

He was bigger than Brad but smaller than Clint, well-built and muscular, shirtless and wearing only a pair of military drill short pants and canvas shoes. His skin was the color of café au lait, his short-cropped curly hair blond, his almond-shaped eyes a surprising blue, and his bold kanaka features were enhanced by the obvious additional ancestries of the Chinese and the Caucasian. He was beautiful. Brad had never seen a boy like him before, and he was almost breathless at the sudden sight of him.

"We want to see Annie Welles," he managed to say, his fists tightening in response to the boy's aggressive stance.

"No one calls her that here on Lateela Island," the native boy snapped back. He looked Brad and Clint up and down like they were intruders from another planet. "Here she's known as 'Sal'. Whaddaya want? Your father and his friend upset her a whole lot the other day and she's been agitated ever since. Why ..."

"Let them in, Jimmy," came the woman's voice from behind, interrupting him. "What harm can it do now? If those scientists are in trouble already ... well, I'm not the least bit surprised."

"But Granny," the boy argued, looking back at her. "Enough is enough already. Jeez! These people are driving you crazy. They ...."

"Let them in!" the woman demanded, her tone leaving no room for argument.

The boy turned back, frowning, and gave Brad and Clint an unwelcoming glare. Then he stepped back and held the door open for them. "You heard her. Come on in."

The boys stepped into a small parlor-like room, nicely shaded by the tall trees behind it in the jungle. Rattan furniture lined the walls and a table and chairs were set by a door that led into another room, perhaps the kitchen. On a chaise lounge chair by a window overlooking the creek sat an elderly woman wrapped in a colorful sarong and fanning herself with a bamboo fan.