12: THE WATERFALLS OF EDEN (Part 1)

Photo above - Jungle Waterfalls

**

"No ...  not just the Americans." Jimmy's voice was low and rough as the boys stood there in the dark cave, gaping at the hundreds of skeletons and piles of bones. "There were other Allied troops in these caves too - Australians, New Zealanders, British, even some innocent civilians."

"You're right," Brad hissed. "And they all died here ... and were left here to rot. "

"C'mon, move on," Clint interrupted from behind, grabbing Butubu by the hand and surging forward. There were shouts and gunfire coming from the cavern behind them.

Butubu started crying out and holding back. He didn't want to pass the remains of the dead men, but Clint pulled him on. "We gotta get going. Those tong guys aren't far behind us."

Brad jerked into action and grabbed Chtupa, who was frozen with fear, and half carried him forward.

"They won't hurt you," he gruffed, as if the boys could understand. He felt a pang in his chest and gestured toward the skeletons. "They're dead men who sacrificed their lives so we all can live free. Oh man, God bless them! Tell the boys, Jimmy."

Jimmy translated while they huddled hurriedly down a narrow path between the rows of hanging skeletons and the piles along the sides. In the lantern glow and the flashlight beams darting here and there, it was a macabre chamber of horrors. Leg bones knocked their shoulders as they tried to squeeze in between. The skeletons rattled. A few loosened and fell down, one right on top of Butubu, causing the boy to scream in terror.

Brad pulled the skeleton off him, wondering who the dead man was, where he'd come from, who he'd left behind wherever his home may have been. He cast it aside as Clint pulled the native boy along. Brad listened to the rattle of the bones as it fell. His teeth gritted and he shuddered.

"A torture chamber!" Clint rasped out. "Or ... worse!" He raised the lantern so they could see a huge pile of skulls.

Skulls with no bodies!

"These guys! They were beheaded," Jimmy cried as they rushed by.

Brad, his hands full with Chtupa and the rifle and flashlight, nudged Clint in the side. "I'm so fucking glad you came back home after the war. You might've been captured and rotted away in some lost forgotten cave like this one."

Clint ducked to avoid the dangling feet of a skeleton. "And what gets me, these guys are all the guy next door, the average Joe. Just like me."

Jimmy let out a hoot that failed to hide his fright. "Like you? You gotta be kidding. You are the farthest thing in the world from the average Joe next door. There ain't nobody nowhere who has a guy like you living next door." He paused momentarily, then, "Except for Brad, that is."

Brad exploded into nervous laughter. "No, Jimmy, not next door. He lives in the same damn house. Oh man, lucky me, huh?"

Clint had no time to fling out the retort that was on the tip of his tongue. The cave of horrors had come to an end and now led into a smaller narrow one. He caromed right into it pulling Butubu, then thrust the boy ahead to guide with the lantern. They ran down the flat surface of the cave with the others behind them.