22: THE VOLCANIC SEA

It was later in the day and the three boys stood in the bow of the Balanga gazing westward toward the horizon. The sun was lowering and would set within the hour into a tumultuous gathering of clouds piling up along the line that separated sea and sky.

Clint pointed ahead. "That must be how Tokyo looked when the Allies were bombing the crap out of it."

Brad nodded solemnly. "Yah, but not as pretty. Good thing they didn't blow it totally up like Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Those Japanese people have to have someplace to live."

"Don't worry about them. Tokyo's plenty big," Jimmy said. "One of the biggest cities in the world. And now the Japanese will have American troops occupying their country for who knows how long."

"Right," Clint nodded. "Maybe forever, or at least until they learn they can't just go out and bomb everyone trying to take over the world."

"Such jerks," Jimmy growled as he leaned his elbows on the rail and watched the gathering clouds ahead. "They were stomping their way through the islands taking over every one of them. Ha! So easy to gain control of the simple island people. They planned to take  Australia too, and New Zealand, but the Allies stopped them. They were gonna let the native people live free but put the whites in concentration camps, like Hitler did the Jews in Europe. Probably so they could get their money."

"Definitely. That's how they finance war. Take over the land and take all the money," Clint told him. "You're talking trillions of dollars."

"Right. My mom says war is all about the money," Jimmy continued. "They take over the banks, the corporations, the natural resources, and the private wealth. And then they drum up excuses to execute the civilians who want to fight them to get them out of the way."

Brad looked up at the lowering sun as a shiver streaked up his spine. "Jeez, I hope the Andromedans don't want to take over Earth."

Jimmy straightened up and turned to look at him. "Man, that'd be somethin'. And they could probably zap us all dead as doornails with their outer-space weapons."

"You guys." Clint laughed and rolled his eyes at them. "If they were able to come here twenty-six thousand years ago, they would've come in force since then if they wanted to take over. We're probably just a fledgling planet compared to theirs anyway. What the hell do we have that they'd want? We can't even go to the moon. They can come here from the stars."

Jimmy grinned at him smugly. "Those people are reptilian. They look like crocodiles. They might want some hot studs like us up there to jazz up their genetic cocktail and raise some excitement."

Brad nodded eagerly. "We'll sure fire things up. The girls up there will be screaming like we're Errol Flynn and Tyrone Power."

"Screw the girls," Jimmy huffed. "We want the boys screaming for us."