Chapter 18 : "A Stranger Among Us." (1992)

"Hey Lena, got any plans for the weekend?"

I looked up at Johnny as he came into the living room. I was sitting at the kitchen table working on my speech for a seminar that was being held at the museum next week."

"No, should I have plans for this weekend?" I asked as I went back to scribbling.

"It's thanksgiving Lee." Elle told me as she walked over to the kitchen.

Great! One of the many holidays a year that I detest. Why? I don't have a family to share it with. My friends were my family now, but they all had plans with their families and I didn't want to intrude. I heard Nicky and Rico discussing their plans a while back. They were visiting Rico's family in Porto Rico and on their way back to New York they're gonna stop by Nicky's parents in Canada.

"Oh. I was thinking of going in to work." I shrugged, attempting nonchalance.

Johnny rolled his eyes and sat down opposite of me.

"Lena, come on! You can't go in to work! It's a holiday, the museum probably won't be open anyways."

"I have a spare key." I told him still scribbling on my papers. He grabbed them from beneath my hands.

"Can you at least look at me while you're talking to me?" he asked crossly.

"I'm sorry." I looked up and sighed. "Look Johnny, I don't have plans for Thanksgiving. I'm not visiting my aunt because I wasn't invited, you're all going away so I'll finally have some peace and quite around the flat. Maybe," I gritted my teeth, "I'll get my speech done." I grabbed the papers back from him and stood up, the chair grating against the floor in protest.

"Lena, I don't want to upset you but seriously. You can't stay cooped up in the flat for the whole weekend. You'll be even more depressed when we get back."

My mouth fell open in surprise. I wasn't depressed! I went out a couple of times with Nicky and Rico, I didn't go the The Prey as often anymore, I had dinner with Elle and Johnny a few times a week, I went to work, I went shopping. Just like always...

Elle put her hand on Johnny's shoulder and gave him a warning look. I haven't told her a single word about the whole Taylor thing, but I'm sure she's heard about him from Johnny.

"Fine. I'll drop the whole thing. I'm going out to gym with Paul." he stood up, kissed Elle and left the flat. Elle made herself a cup of tea and poured me some coffee. She sat down opposite me, sipping her tea silently.

"So what's the speech for?" she asked innocent enough to take me suspicious.

"We having an Egypt week next week. It coincides with National Geography's Egypt Marathon and we figured it would be the ideal time to hold a similar themed week. There a grand opening on the Monday and seminars throughout the week. I'm in charge of the opening and two of the six seminars." I laid my pen down and looked at her expectantly.

She blushed and looked down at her cup. "He's just looking out for you."

"I know, but I'm fine." I bit my lip and frowned. "How can he say I'm depressed!"

Elle laughed at my outburst. "He's just getting fed up with Paul constantly wanting to know how you are. He thinks you're depressed because you're not the same as the day he met you."

I shrugged. "So I've matured a bit." I sipped my coffee, damn it was good!

"From what I've heard, you were already mature when you moved to New York."

"Me? Nah! So what is it you want to talk about?" I asked her as I walked over to the sofa and sat down. She walked over to join me.

"Johnny thought it was a good idea if you went home with me this weekend."