Chapter 45--Broken hearts may be mended

Chapter 45-Broken hearts may be mended

****

Guardonia:

Laura spent the umpteenth night as a restless, yet listless ball of emotion. Her feelings over losing Jake had yet to even start to recover but those around her continued their lives as if he had never been a part of things.

Deus and Lacerta had kind of adopted her as their little sister, which although she appreciated, made her seriously sad at the same time; Deus showed so many of the same kindly, gentle-mannered traits that Jake had, that Laura could only despair at the thought that she would never see her Jake get to his brothers' age.

Also, it was plainly obvious for anyone to see, that Deus and Lacerta were utterly and completely smitten withone another; as cute as this was, it only served to remind Laura that she would never, ever have this.

She had spent alot of time with Ara, talking over and over about the tattoo that had appeared on her right ring finger at Jakes Memorial service.

Laura knew, or thought she knew just how much Jake had loved her, yet the tattoo symbolised his blessing for her to move on and find another to love her, yet she didn't understand this as to move on, in her eyes anyway, would feel like a betrayal.

Besides, she was so messed up emotionally at the moment that the last thing she could consider was a new relationship; many of their friendship group fully expected her and Mundati to become involved romantically yet Mundatiwas her friend, a very close friend that was like a brother to her, but he was grieving too; even though Kirsty didn't die, he had still lost her and to some extent, this was worse as he felt betrayed by the one he had loved and had to see her with another-- at least Laura could honestly say that when she lost Jake, the two of them were truly in love and she had his blessing permanently on her hand as tangible proof.

Laura knew that she was pushing most of her friends away but she couldn't bear to see them all in loving couples--the wound of losing Jake still hurt too much and even though they purposely refrained from inviting her to too 'couply' events, she still felt hollow, achingly empty and alone.

Once the Guardonians were put back to work after the long, bad period of grief and loss, Laura had decided to retrain as a Mentor, as opposed to leaving Guardonia; she had previously worked in the Medical Unit and the Nursery but all of these reminded her of Jake. Every lunchtime, she still expected him to waltz through the doors, a whimsical look upon his face, as his eyes lit up the second they met Lauras.

As tough as it was, Laura had made the decision to completely re-invent her life in Guardonia and as such, she spent less and less time with her old group of friends.

At first, they understood this, yet as time had gone on, they began to resent her continued abscence, feeling as if they suddenly weren't good enough for the trainee Mentor.

Laura was aware of their feelings and tried to make herself socialise with them ocassionally but the group just reminded her too much of her loss and she always made excuses to leave early, citing an early start at work or school the next day.

As a trainee Mentor, Laura spent her 6 hours a day working with either Lynx, Ara or Orion and the remaining 6 hours of lessons with the group on annate shift to her previous friendship group; she knew she was being unfair, but to re-invent her life meant to make sacrifices and it was the only way she could think to begin the healing process.

The trainee Mentors would begin their Earth visits soon, as most acted as Guardonia Angelus also, being the recruiter and Mentor combined and Laura had mixed emotions about these impending visits.