2.

Emily 

First night with my new roommate. She suggested that we have a girls night so we can get to know each other. We popped some popcorn and had chips. I had a bottle of red wine in the fridge so we got that as well.

We sat on the big gray couch in the living room. The big TV that Devon, last roommate, had left, was playing some show I had no idea about.

''So Emily, where are you from originally?'' She asked me popping a chip into her mouth and facing me sitting Indian stile on the couch.

I faced her, too, setting the bowls of food in the middle of the couch.

''I am originally from Seattle.'' I am, too, sitting Indian stile on the couch.

''I have never been, what's it like?'' She asks enthusiastically.

''I don't know what to say, it a city, there are people, its cold. Definitely more interesting to a person who is not from there.'' That's true. My friends that have lived here in LA their whole lives say that it's boring here and they want to go somewhere else.

''I guess it is so with every city,'' she says, just like reading my mind.

''Where are you from?'' I asked her popping some popcorn in my mouth.

''I'm from England actually,'' she says, smiling so beautifully that I find myself staring at her lips.

''You don't have an accent,'' I say, snapping my eyes back up to meet her eyes. She has an amused look on her face and I think I got caught staring at her lips.

''My family is all American, I just lived there from the age of 3 till I came to college here. Well technically I am not from there, but I have been living there my whole life. Occasional summers here with my grandparents, too.'' She explained to me eagerly munching on some more popcorn. She seemed to really like it. She ate another piece and another. Her red hair was falling past her shoulders in nice waves and her brown eyes were simply beautiful. She was just wearing a pair of yoga pants and a large tshirt but she looked good even like that.

''Don't look at me like that, I could live off of popcorn only, '' she said laughing, I must have been staring, again. I'm glad she brought my attention to it with making a joke about her eating habits not my lingering stare on her face.

''Interesting, I mean, living in England, was it fun?'' I changed the subject quickly because I felt my cheeks getting hotter from the embarrassment. I need to focus on the conversation.

''I guess it's the same thing like you said with Seattle.'' She tucks a strand of hair behind her ear nodding slightly and appearing a little thoughtful. The air between us seems to be calm and friendly, not at all embarrassing and awkward like I make it to be with staring at her constantly.

''Yeah, '' I agree.

''So, do you have a boyfriend? I'm nosy, I'm sorry.'' She asks humor laced in her voice. Is she trying to ask discretely the reason I'm staring?

''No worries, it's a valid question.'' I don't know what to do. Do I say just no, because I don't have one or should I tell her the truth. Maybe I should have told here before she moved in, maybe she is uncomfortable with this. Maybe she doesn't care, will she care?

''Umm, no, you don't have to be looking out for possible houseguest of that sort.'' I say. Leaving the truth part out for now. She looks at me quizzically.

''Why not, you look like girl who has no problems in that department.'' She is very straight forward. I feel like she will not hold back. I feel uncomfortable, I don't know if I should tell her. I feel myself blush under her intense gaze, she is waiting for an answer.

''I, umm... well, I like girls. So no boyfriend for me.'' I say trying to make a joke but I have a lump in my throat and I sound weird. She is looking at me first with shock, but it disappears quickly like it was never there to begin with and a smile appears on her face instead.

''Well that's alright, I have no problem with that,'' she shrugs like it's nothing. Which it is, but I never know how people react.

''Do I have to be on a lookout for girlfriend maybe?'' she asks then and I feel my cheeks go red once again. I have never blushed that much in my life as I have done today.

''No, no girlfriend at the moment.'' I shake my head feeling my face turning even hotter under her gaze. Why am I so shy all of a sudden?

We talked for hours that night. Just about normal and random things. She was very open and never afraid to ask. Sometimes I felt like there was no filter, she just said whatever came to her mind. I liked it. That moment I knew why living with a guy was so much easier for me.

Tossing and turning in my bed I fall into a restless sleep.