13.

Emily

''The wedding is on Saturday, don't forget that!'' My mom called me to remind me of my cousins wedding. I have to go to Seattle next weekend for it.

''I haven't forgotten, I brought a plane ticket months ago,'' I tell her. She reminds me every week at least once. I am an adult – how the hell did that happen? – and I know the things I have to do.

''I know, but still,'' she says, like always.

''Are you still bringing Tally?'' My mom asks me. I completely forgot that I said I will come with a plus one.

''Everyone is waiting,'' mom adds after I haven't answered her in a minute.

''Mom, you know we broke up,'' I tell her. I haven't thought about it lately. I was going to brig Tally because we had been together for a half a year and I thought I should introduce her to my mom and Steven, and tell my entire family about the situation as well. But now I don't have a girlfriend and I was not planning on telling anybody anything.

My grandparents are little conservative and that's why I haven't mentioned me being gay to them. My mom is slightly afraid, too. When my mom told them that she was going to divorce my dad all hell broke loose. And she is afraid that might happen with this too.

Bringing Tally was my mom's idea. She thought that if I come with a stranger my grandparents, specially my grandma, will behave.

''Can you bring someone else? I- I already prepared myself for this,'' she tells me with a heavy sigh.

''Maybe this isn't a good idea after all? I don't want to ruin Laura's wedding.'' Now that I am thinking about this I feel like it's a bad idea.

''You'll not ruin it,'' she hesitated a bit saying it.

''I'll see what I can do,'' I tell her and we end the call. Should I bring someone? But who?

***

I know that Annie forbid me to ask her, for my own good, but I was stubborn. I think that if anything this might be my chance. This might be a stupid from my behalf but one can hope. Hope is for the fools to comfort them and I'll gladly be a fool.

''Stell, I have a little unusual favor to ask you,'' I lead in my proposal. I'm a bit nervous. What if I scare her away.

''I'm listening,'' she raises her eyebrow in questioning.

We are in the kitchen on a Sunday night and like usual I'm cooking and she is observing from the counter.

''Umm... I need to go to my cousins wedding, it's next weekend in Seattle. My mom thinks I should bring a date to the wedding so my grandma and others will finally know... that I'm gay,'' I gulp nervously eyeing her. She has her brows furrowed together in confusion.

''I don't want to bring someone random in such short notice...'' I continue, I feel nervous and the words are not coming out like I want them to. Maybe this is a bad idea? But maybe this is good?

''Are you asking me to be your date to the wedding?'' She interrupts.

''Yeah,'' I answer shyly.

''Why me?'' she asks. Why? Because I have an enormous crush on you.

''Well, I don't have anybody to ask. I don't even have a random chick to bring at the moment,'' I confess. After she moved in I have not had time to go out. Well, I'm lying. After she moved in, I have not wanted to go out.

''That seems a little weird to me,'' she still has confused look on her face and she looks thoughtful. I should have not done it!

''I know, but please think about it.'' Please, please, please.

''Like a real date? Are you asking me to be your real date? Because you know I don't do that, right?'' she asks.

''Stella, I know,'' I sigh wishing it to be different, ''but would it be a bad thing to go out with me?'' I ask joking to lighten the mood.

''No it would not,'' she says with a smile and I feel a thousand butterflies coming to life inside of me. The thought of her actually being interested makes my head spin. I know I should not imagine things, but this gives me hope.

''But I don't want you to get a wrong impression,'' she adds smile disappearing and my butterflies fly away. It was too good to be true.

''I'm not getting a wrong impression, I'm just asking you as a friend,'' I say feeling a bit guilty for lying. I'm kind of lying though. The original idea was to ask her and it to be just a platonic date, but the thought has been changing back and forth.

''The food is burning,'' Stella informs me. Shit, I have forgotten about that while we talked. This is a mess, the food, the conversation. I should just tell her to forget about it. Should have never asked her.

''I'll order pizza.'' She hops off the counter and leaves the kitchen.