11.

Emily

It's 9pm on my birthday and I have been at work all day. My friends have sent me texts and stopped by the coffee shop. My mom called me early in the morning and after her all the other relatives. Birthday is the most awkward phone call day ever. Can't they just send me a text? If you don't talk to me on other days of the year, then why is it so important to do it today. Only one thing to say, thanks mom for forcing others to call me!

''Here, have a happy birthday night,'' Fran says and hands me a little cupcake that has a candle on it. Sometimes we work same shifts and I really like her. As a friend! Everyone is not a potential girlfriend candidate.

''That's sweet of you, thank you! Have a good evening yourself!'' I say. She promised to close the shop herself, as a birthday present. Who am I to say no to that.

I open the apartment door and there are a lot of shoes in the corridor and I can hear people chatting.

''Hey, Emily, we were waiting for you!'' Devon yells as I walk into the living room. My friends are here!

''Hey! What is this?'' I ask smiling.

''Surprise. We thought that after a long day at work birthday girl should at least have cake with her friends,'' Stella stepped out of the kitchen with a cake. They all gather around her and face me.

''Thank you guys, I love you!'' My heart swells. They sing me a birthday song and as always it's a little bit awkward to just stand there.

The cake has a birthday wish and my age on it with 23 candles.

''Make a wish!'' Liam says and I blow off the candles. They all cheer and clap.

''So you told the bakery how old I am, thanks,'' I say sarcastically sweeping my finger trough the numbers on the cake and lick it clean, ''the age tastes good at least.''

Everyone takes in line to hug me. Most of them actually called or texted me already, but as I see it was a cover up. I'm clad that they didn't jump out with the surprise but just casually greeted me. They know I don't really like this kind of a thing.

''Happy birthday!'' Stella hugs me and I don't really want to let go of her. She kisses me quickly on the cheek and my heart skips a beat. She lets go of me and the others hug me as well with warm birthday wishes.

Sebastian opens a bottle of champagne with a loud pop and we all cheer. Stella hands out pieces of cake to everybody and we all sit around the little coffee table.

In the middle of lively conversation I find myself staring at Stella, again. I hope I'm not being too obvious. She looks at me from the corner of her eye and smiles. I have been caught, but I don't feel weird. I smile back at her and her smile grew, she looked away shyly, but looked right back at me. I know it's just a platonic but it makes my heart speed up and butterflies appear.

***

''Thanks for coming,'' I say as I close the door after everyone. It's a Tuesday so they didn't stay for long but I loved it anyway.

As I reenter the kitchen I see Stella cleaning the dishes.

''Let me help!'' I start to lift the pile of plates.

''No, I clean the dishes, remember?'' she says playful smile on her lips and takes the plates from me.

''But I did not cook,'' I try to argue with her. She smiles while shaking her head at me.

''Well, birthday girl, sit and enjoy me doing it, because you are not going to help me!'' she says sternly.

I sit on the counter where she usually sits when I am cooking. It really has a good view of the kitchen. And a good view of her, too.

''This spot really has a good view,'' I say to her.

''I know right, that's why I sit there.'' She flashes me a playful smile.

''To get a good look at me ?'' I tease her. ''Because I think it's a pretty good place for that.''

''Busted!'' She giggles.

I sit there and I am not even hiding the fact that I am staring at her. Her blue jeans are hugging her thighs making her long legs looks incredible. She is a small thin girl, but her legs seem long and make her look taller. She is wearing a light pink jumper and as always it fits her like a glove. She looks concentrated on her task and it is adorable.

I can still feel the kiss on my cheek. At the moment I would really like to kiss her. I better not, I don't want to be awkward around here.

''What did you wish for?'' She asks me and I awake from my daydream. She is gotten so far with the task that she is now butting the dishes away in the cupboards.

''I can't say.'' Hopping off the counter I stand next to her and hand her the plates. I really can't say.

After we cleaned the kitchen, well she cleaned, I went to my room and Stella went to hers.

''Stell, what is this!'' I call out to her when I see the ceiling of my room filled with balloons. There are more than hundred of them and the ribbons are almost touching the ground. It looks beautiful.

''You have to shut the lights,'' Stella appears on my doorstep. She flicks the lights off and the stars on the balloons are glowing. How did I not see that before?

''Did you do this?'' I am awed.

''I had help from the others, you once said you love the stars, so we brought them to you. We could not find the usual sticky kind, so we got the balloons. The ribbons give a nice effect.'' She tells me looking up, too.

''It's beautiful!'' I hug her in the darkness under the glowing stars. Her hands snake around me and she rests her chin on my shoulder.

''I'm glad you like it,'' she whispers near my ear. Sadly she lets go of me.

''Goodnight,'' she says happily and after I wish her the same she leaves.