16.

Emily 

''Your mom told me you came with a date,'' my grandma started talking to me as she sat next to me. I nodded looking around for Stella. She went with my mom to help with something.

''Where is he?''

''She is here, somewhere,'' I say hoping she does not pick up the change in pronouns before Stella arrives. My grandmother is very straight forward in front of people she knows, not so much with strangers as she wants to look good in their eyes. I hope if Stella is here she will go easy on the Q and A.

''I want to meet him later at the reception.'' She pats my shoulder with a sweet smile and stands up finding her way back to my grandpa. Stella reappears with my mom and makes her way to me. The blue dress she is wearing fits her like it was made just for her. She looks breathtakingly beautiful and sexy.

''Found the missing earrings, she can get married now,'' Stella announces to me and sits down.

''My mom had you looking for the earrings?'' I asked surprised. Stella nodded and smiled sweetly, but something mysterious twinkled in her eyes. She took my hand in hers. She did that this morning as we left the house and when we arrived. She is taking this date thing seriously and I am not complaining.

Last night at the dinner with my mom and Steven she acted really date like, too. My mom really likes her, I like her.

***

I'm assigned a seat in a dinner table with my parents and grandparents, Stella is sitting right beside me. The quests are arriving and I see my mom accompanied by my grandma. My mom is keeping my grandmother occupied but she doesn't seem interested after her eyes find me. From stepping into the venue she has been looking at me and I can't make out the expression on her face.

''Where is your date?'' My grandmother asks in the middle of my mom's talking when they reach the table. The tone is stern but polite and I feel my heartbeat quicken.

''Umm, grandma, Stella is my date,'' I say shyly afraid of what's coming next. I look at my mother and she seems scared. I feel like this is going to be a disaster, the bride and groom are going to hate me.

''Grandma, this is Stella, my date. Stella, this is my grandmother Grace,'' I introduce them. Stella stands up and shakes grandma's hand.

''Oh,'' my grandmother says with a surprise, ''nice to meet you.'' She does not seem pleased. Stella nods as a greeting, but she doesn't notice.

''I thought that you meant she was bringing her boyfriend.'' My grandmother turns to my mom and looks at her with dismay.

''I don't have a boyfriend and I never will,'' I say quietly. Stella takes my hand in hers under the table and squeezes it.

''So you are one of those,'' she is pointing a finger at my direction trying to find the word she is looking for. ''Lesbian?'' she says finally.

''Yes,'' I look down in my lap where Stella's hand is intertwined with mine.

''Oh, dear,'' she says. I tense up, what is she going to say.

My mom looks scared and is apologetically looking at me. My grandfather is just waiting for my grandmother to say something as is Steven.

And then someone starts clinking a utensil against a glass trying to get everybody's attention.

''Ladies and gentleman...'' the best man starts the speech but I'm not interested. Everybody looks up at the man making a speech and our conversation stays in the air. Perfect timing, George!

''It will be ok,'' Stella whispers to me kissing the back of my hand. I look at her and she is smiling reassuringly.

I'm going crazy right now. The speeches pile up, so many people want to say something, but I just want this to be over. My heart is racing and my head feels dizzy. What is she going to say? I could not pick up her tone as she called me dear.

People start to lose interest as the food is being served and my grandmother turns to face me. She looks thoughtful, eyeing me and Stella.

''I-I don't know what to say,'' she takes a sip of wine and places her napkin on her lap neatly.

''It's fine honey, the main thing is that you are happy,'' my grandpa says and reaches over to squeeze my hand. The other hand remains in Stella's hold.

''It's not fine. It's weird and unnatural,'' she says with a hushed tone. ''I am not a religious person, but here I agree with all of them, this is not how I imagine your future,'' she looks at me and takes another sip of wine. No one else is saying anything. This reaction was anticipated, but we hoped she will react better.

Stella holds on to my hand and her thumb caresses soothingly over my knuckles. I'm so grateful for her at this moment. My heart is beating frantically and I just want to leave, but I feel like I'm glued to this chair. Also my mind is running million miles an hour and I want to say so much to her, but I'm just not able to form my thoughts into sentences.

''Dear, you can't say things like that,'' my grandfather tells her.

''I can and I will,'' she keeps a low voice but it is stern and full of anger. Other tables around us have no idea that we are having this conversation.

''Did you know about this?'' she asks my mother. ''Of course you did,'' she spats out. My mom is looking at her like a statue not getting any words out of her mouth.

''Emily, I understand that happiness is important and all, but at the moment I can not support this,'' she stands up and places her napkin on the table. She turns around and disappears into the mass of people dancing on the dance floor.

''I'll talk to her, don't worry,'' grandpa kisses me on the cheek and gives an apologetic look to Stella. He takes my mother with him and they also disappear into the crowd.

''Emily, she will get over it, it's not the end of the world, she just need to process it I guess,'' Steven says. He is the only one left at the table with me and Stella. He excuses himself and leaves us alone.

Stella wraps her arms around me in an instant and I hide my face into her chest. Tears are running down my face and I can't help it. Why didn't I say anything to defend myself? Defend? No, I actually don't have to defend myself on that subject. I'm gay and that's it, it's normal. She has a problem with it, not me.

Stella's hands are making soothing motions on my back and I feel myself calming down. I raise my head to look at her. She swipes my tears away and kisses me softly on my cheek.

''Come on, let's go and get our minds off of this.'' She takes my hand in hers and leads me to an open bar.