7.

Stella

I emerge from my room after hearing the front door close. I need something to eat, but I felt too nervous to leave my room before with Emily's friends here. They were doing some school assignment so I did not want to be a bother. With my glass of water I'm standing in front of the open fridge thinking about what should I eat.

''You have been cooped up in that room all day,'' Emily comes up behind me, startling me a little, ''you ok?''

I get the bred out of the fridge along with the butter and some cheese.

''Yes, just didn't want to bother you,'' I say turning around after closing the fridge.

''Want some dinner or should I wait for couple of hours?'' Emily asks me looking at the things in my hand smiling knowingly.

''Dinner sounds good right about now, want some help?'' I ask her and set the things on the table. She is so lovely for cooking but I like to help. I know next to nothing about it, but I surely can chop some veggies if needed.

''Good, I'm starving,'' Emily says and smiles sweetly. She takes out a chopping board with a large knife and hands them to me. I place them down on the counter that I usually use for sitting while she cooks.

''Take the tomato and the cucumber and dice them, make a salad,'' she instructs. I take the necessities out of the fridge and start to chop them. My pieces are uneven but I think it does not matter that much. She is skilled with all the chopping and prep that she has everything cooking by the time I finish my small task.

''So I'm all done with the salad, and I still have all my 10 fingers,'' I joke wiggling my finger in her direction. I place the bowl with the salad on the kitchen table and the knife with the chopping board in the sink.

''I was hoping for that, good,'' she laughs lightly while still looking down at the pan. As I'm done with my assignment and not wanting to mess anything up I take my usual seat on the counter. I could sit at the dining table, but then I would not be able to see anything. And I like to see what she is doing. It's a little kink of mine, that I have to see how the food is made or I will not eat it. Doesn't include store brought food that is already made, somehow I trust it more, but I think I shouldn't.

''How's Matt, haven't seen him around,'' Emily asks over her shoulder while chopping something fast.

''Umm, he is good, I guess. Don't really know,'' I admit sheepishly. It was nothing, we just hung out. He seemed interesting, but there was nothing else besides his good looks.

''Oh, why so?'' Emily asks raising her gaze to me, her expression hard to read. I don't know if she is genuinely interested or just needed a topic to speak about.

''Umm, he just wasn't the type I like,'' I say not really sure of myself. I don't quite know what I like, I have not had that much experience with boys and all of the relationship stuff.

''What is your type?'' Emily asks now definite interest in her tone and expression to match.

''I'll know when I see him, but Matt was not it.'' I said with humor, because I honestly don't know. Sometimes I like the blond, then the brunet. One day I find the muscular and tough type attractive the other day I see a cute nerd and I'm sold. Just don't know.

''You have to have some idea,'' she wonders. The pan is sizzling and the smell is divine and it distracts me a bit.

''Well of course, but it's the usual, I think. You know, funny, smart, loving, interesting... but everyone says that and that does not clarify anything really. That's why I say I'll know when I see him.'' I'm just rumbling my thoughts out loud. Emily is looking at me, nodding along with a thoughtful expression.

''What about you? What is your type a girl?'' I ask teasingly, she turns her eyes to the floor and bites down on her lip. Enough about me, it's her turn to talk.

''Umm...'' she is thinking, hiding her gaze from me. She adds some seasoning to the food and stirs. She takes some time thinking about it. Her cheeks flush slightly and she looks adorable. I didn't think she would be embarrassed to talk about thing like that.

''Well, she should be funny and adorable, have a light laugh, the kind that makes me laugh, too. I'd like a girl that I could just sit on a couch with and do nothing.'' She looks at me her green eyes locked on mine. She seems thoughtful and everything she said was so sweet. She must have thought about it before. I smile sweetly and a smile grosses her face, too.

''Anyone specific? That sounded like you have someone in mind.'' I teased her. She gave me a look. Seemed like she was scared for a moment.

''And of course sexy, can't be right without it,'' she adds jokingly brushing off my comment.

''Oh yeah, definitely, '' I agree with a light laugh. The girl who she ends up with will be very lucky.