14.

Stella

Emily asked me on a date. I thought about it a lot last night. Does that mean she likes me more than a friend? This is weird, I have never had that happen to me before.

I know she says just friends and I should not get a head of myself, but I'm a little afraid of this. I like being friends with her, what if this ruins everything? Then I need to find a new place to live and move again, I don't want that.

I'm not interested in her that way and I don't want her to get a wrong impression. But I have to admit, as weird as this is I'm interested to see what happens. What is there to be afraid of?

I leave my room in search of Emily. I find her sleeping on the big gray sofa in the living room. Did she sleep here all night?

''Emily,'' I say softly. She slowly opens her eyes and then rubs them with her hands.

''Did you sleep here all night?''

''Yes, I must have fallen asleep.'' I see the TV is still on, playing on a low volume. She sits up and rubs her eyes sleepily.

''I'm sorry about yesterday, I didn't mean to make thing awkward...'' she starts talking but I interrupt.

''I'll come to the wedding with you,'' I tell her. Her face lights up with a bright smile and I feel compelled to copy that smile.

''But the cake better be the best one I have ever had!'' I joke.

***

''Is this ok?'' I hold the blue dress in front of me for Emily to see. It's long dark blue dress with an open back. I got it as a gift from my grandma. I have many dresses because my grandma owns a fancy dress store in Boston. She usually gets me a dress for my birthday.

''Umm, I think I need to see you wear it first, you know, before I decide if it's good,'' she didn't look at me but kept rummaging through my closet. I think she has tried on all of the dresses already.

I discard myself from the short flowery dress that I wore to school and toss it to the bed. I am wearing white underwear that will definitely show from under the dress. I need to change. I walk across the room to the drawers half naked to get some underwear appropriate for that dress.

From the corner of my eye I see Emily, she is looking at me. For a second I'm confused and then it hits me, shit! I blush, feeling uncomfortable all of a sudden. She looks around the room awkwardly twiddling with her fingers.

''I'm sorry.'' I quickly take the bathrobe that is laid on the bed from before.

''Umm... yeah, I wanted to know if this dress is ok?'' she asks me motioning to the dress she is wearing now looking a little flushed. I didn't even notice her changing the clothes.

She is wearing a baby blue dress that hugs her body like a clove. It's this mermaid style dress that I wore to my mother's wedding.

''This is fabulous on you. I don't even look that good in it.'' Looks like it was made for her. She is a few inches taller than me and the dress is shorter on her than me. I'm a bit jealous of her at the moment.

''Thanks,'' she says shyly tucking a strand of hair behind her ear, '' I'll go with this then.''

I nod and pick up the long blue dress that I needed to try on. I stand in the middle of the room with it not knowing what to do. Do I go to the bathroom to change? It should not be this weird, girl friends change clothes with each other in the same room all the time.

''I'll leave you to it,'' she says, the awkwardness filling the room. She gathers her clothes from the floor and exits.

After I put the dress on I exit my room to find Em. She is in the kitchen and has changed her clothes back to skinny jeans and a t-shirt.

''How do I look?'' I ask her smiling and making poses to show off the dress.

''It's beautiful, suits you. I think it will be really great to the wedding.'' She is eyeing me from head to toe smiling bright.

''Yeah? Good, so we are done with the dresses!'' I smiled, turned around, and went to my room.

Last time I wore that dress was at Emily's cousins wedding. I am eyeing myself from the mirror and the blue dress that brings back the memories of that night.

Guilt creeps its way to my heart when I think of it. She is the sweetest person I know and I counted her as one of my best friends. Now I haven't talked to her over 6 months. I sometimes think of calling her and asking how is it going, but I chicken out every time I am close to dialing her number.

Last glimpse in to the mirror and I'm thinking if I should ware something else. I look at the clock and I am already late, so I decide to go with it.

In front of the building is a fancy looking black car and a suited man is standing next to it.

''Hey baby, ready to go?'' he asks pecking me on the cheek and opens the passenger door for me.

Nodding I clime in to the car.