Chapter 6

I'm distracted by a "thwack" through my open window. I do a double take, glancing up and then back at my computer before realizing what I see and staring back out my window. I watch Martijn get off the floor before kicking something that's also on the floor. His window is open so I wince when I hear him kick the object. 

Martijn mutters something before picking up sweatpants off his bed. He pulls off his jeans and my eyes widen. He has on blue patterned boxers that go down midway to his toned thighs. I can see a subtle line where his skin turns from summer tan to much lighter.

Grasping the neckline of the back of his shirt, Martijn pulls his shirt off over his head and his tan, muscular torso flexes as he does so. I gape at his nearly naked body, grateful that my room is in darkness so he can't see me. He pulls on sweatpants that hang low on his hips before tossing his laptop onto his bed and jumping on after it.

Martijn slides headphones on and messes around on his computer, watching the screen intensely. He switches between furious bursts of clicks and silences during which I can tell he is even more frustrated. I smile to myself. I know that feeling all too well. Not knowing what to do next with a piece of music. Martijn finally slams the lid of his laptop down and the light switches off, plunging his room into darkness.

I climb into bed myself and drift off into unconsciousness.

*******

"Hey there babe." I look up quickly. Dylan is striding towards me. His eyes wander unabashedly down my body. I look down at myself. Why the hell am I in my underwear? Dylan pushes me backwards onto the bed, quickly and firmly. As soon as my back hits the soft sheets, he disappears.

I look around, confused. Turning around completely, I see Matt, facing away from me. I start towards him. "Matt! Matt, what's going on?" As I tap his shoulder, his body swivels, revealing Angel wrapped in his arms, kissing him. They don't even notice me. They're too absorbed in each other. 

They vanish too. I'm left only with a boy's smiling face dancing in my dreams. Martijn.

*******

Martijn

I wake up late for the first time in forever. I didn't sleep well, but of course I never do. I lay in bed for awhile listening to the ocean hitting the shore in my backyard. That sure is different. I hear a different sound after awhile, too. My parents aren't awake yet, but it's coming from outside. I sit up and look out my open window.

It's Madi. Her window is open, too, and through it I can see that she's just getting out of bed. Her hair is in a messy braid. She's wearing a navy tank top and underwear that only covers about half of what it should. I can't stop looking at her. I realize that Madi is completely the opposite of... her. The one I lost.

Thinking about that gives me mixed emotions. I get a new start here and Madi doesn't remind me of the other girl at all, but it still hurts to remember her. Even her name.

I blink and look back into Madi's room. She's out of sight now but I can still hear her. I see a familiar item hanging on a chair by her bed. My jacket. Dammit I like that jacket. I gotta get it back. Not that it bothers me that Madi has it. I mean it does.

I jump out of bed, remembering that I'm going to chill with some of the friends I made at school. Great group of girls. Really open, if you know what I mean.

I take one step and fall flat on my face for the second time in the past day. "Motherfuc-!!!" I yell, forgetting until the word is halfway out that my window is open. And so is Madi's. I glance over but no one is there. Good. I don't need a goody goody in my life. Cause that's what she is.