Chapter 15

I stuff the last bra into my duffel bag and zip it closed. I grab my phone and rush down the stairs. Dad stands by the door, ready to drive me to the airport. In a week, I have a free flight to Amsterdam, where I have a hotel room to stay in.

Dad takes the left out of the driveway, and we pass Martijn's house. Suddenly I remember that he lives right next door. In the past week, I was so caught up in my preparations and packing that I forgot all about him.

What would he think about me going to visit his record label? I remember his cocky comments about how I was just a wannabe. Not anymore.

My dad drives so slow I'm afraid I'm gonna miss my flight. I check my phone. It's 4:27 in the morning but I don't even feel the time. I'm so alert, full of adrenaline.

When we finally reach the airport, I grab my bags and rush through security like I'm on autopilot, haha. I finally take a seat at the gate. They can't board the plane fast enough.

Finally, my section is called and I get in line, and soon, I'm in my seat on the plane. I reply to a last text in my friends' group message, and as I return to the main screen of my texts, I see Martijn's name at the bottom of the screen. 

My thumb hovers over his name. I want to text him. But what would I say? "Hey, your record label wants me more than they want you?" No way. For the first time, I get a funny feeling about this trip.

At 6:14 A.M., my plane takes off. I don't even know what time I land, but it's late. I walk along the street to my hotel, check in, and crash on my bed.

*******

I wake up and blink sleepily at the clock across the room. 1:00 in the afternoon. Stupid jet lag. Good thing I have a day to get used to it. My meeting is tomorrow at 11:30 A.M. 

I step out onto the balcony and gasp at the beautiful view. I'm right on the water. It's right below me, and boats cruise leisurely up and down, like a street, but so much more gorgeous. The water glistens as small waves roll and slide down the canal. Trees lining the canal and bridges blossom with shiny green leaves and bright, colorful flowers. This is so incredible.

I decide to take a walk to explore a little, and pull on denim shorts and a purple v neck t shirt. I hold my wallet and phone in my hand because I heard pickpockets prey on tourists sometimes.

I pull my hotel room door closed and try to turn the handle to make sure it's firmly locked. I tuck my room key in my wallet and leave the building. My room faced one canal, and on the side of the building, a red brick walkway ran alongside another waterway. I look both ways to decide which way to go, and spot a street market down to my right.

The bright colors attract me immediately, and I begin making my way towards them. As I get closer, I can see the items littered among the stalls more clearly. There's delicious looking food and handmade things, clothing, and trinkets for children.

I check out some of the little toys, wondering if my little sisters would like something like these, but the trinkets look too young for them.

The various food carts smell like heaven. I stop and take in the scene around me. I can hear people speaking Dutch around me, and I wish my school offered Dutch. All I have under my belt is five school years of Spanish classes.

I can hear some words that are similar to English, and I laugh to myself at how they sound.

Suddenly my arm jerks and my hand is empty. I look down and my phone and wallet are gone. A man is running the opposite way, dodging stalls and vendors. I see a flash of blue from my phone case in his hand. "Hey!" I yell, and start to run after the man. My speed is almost no match to his, and I can barely keep up.