Chapter 3

Of course. We're having the new neighbors over for dinner. I try to cover up my shock by putting on my most polite smile. "Hi! You must be our new neighbors. I'm Madi." My mom finally appears behind me and I have to resist the temptation to sigh in relief.

"Hello! Please come in. I'm Nancy, and my husband Charles will be home soon." Martin's parents introduce themselves as Mr. and Mrs. Garritsen, and Martin says a bored "Hi, I'm Martijn. Nice to meet you," I realize that, of course, Martin Garrix is just a stage name. His real name is Martijn Garritsen. My mother and I lead them into the living room to sit and have drinks and appetizers and then I hear the front door opening.

I hurry quickly to the door to greet my dad. I always do, every night. It's kind of a nice tradition for us. I'm really close to my dad, since my two sisters are so close to my mom. "Hi, Dad! Our new neighbors are over." He smiles at me and I hug him.

"Oh, great! I can't wait to meet them! Don't they have a son your age?" I frown a little. "Yeah, his name is Martijn, and he's my age. He's... interesting. He seems either frustrated or stuck up. I can't tell which. I had to help him get situated at school today and he was just sort of grumpy. He's like a little rich kid or something," I say quietly.

My dad gives me a small smile. "It's probably hard for him to get adjusted this close to the end of the year. And I'm sure it's weird to go from being an international star like that to living in a tiny town in the United States. I'm sorry you don't like him, though." He puts his shoes away and I follow him back into the living room.

Just then I realize all the seats are taken. Except a spot on the couch next to Martijn. I hold back an unattractive groan and sit down, as far away from him as possible without looking suspicious. I can't help but inhale a little deeper than usual when I catch a whiff of his cologne. He smells... so good. 

When everyone has their drinks, my mom suggests we go onto the patio. I eagerly open the door for everyone and head out to my favorite spot, my half-circle hammock chair.

It's far enough away from everyone that I have some solitude, but close enough that I can hear the conversation and be apart of it if someone asks me something.

I pull out my phone and text Matt. <<hey matt, what's up?>> He replies a minute later, <<hey angel, nothing much, i miss you.>> I frown a little, confused. He'd never called me angel, just babe.

I shrug it off and reply, <<I'm so bored, we have martijn, that new kid, and his family over for dinner and it's kinda awkward>>

He replies, <<awww, sorry babe. i'll keep you company>> I smile at that and we text until my parents tell me to put my phone away. I do so grudgingly, but it doesn't matter much because it's time for dinner right then.

I sit down next to Martijn again, as the spot next to him was, again, the only unoccupied one left.  I take the plate Martijn offers me and serve myself some of the delicious smelling food laid out on it.

I turn a little when Martijn passes me a quarter full pitcher of water and I almost have my hands on it when he lets go of it and it spills all over my dress. By the way he did it, I can tell it was purposeful.

I gasp and my hands fly up, then down to my lap as I grab a napkin to dry off the dress and prevent it from clinging to my body. And my favorite dress, too, is my first thought as I gasp, and then I see a small smirk on Martijn's face out of the corner of my eye.

My mouth opens in disbelief as my suspicion is confirmed. He did it on purpose, is my second thought.

My mom stands up quickly, thank god, as Martijn starts a brilliant facade of "I'm so sorry," and "Oh my god," and "Let me help you with that," as he grabs the pitcher from my lap. He replaces it quickly on the table and just before I turn to get up and run to my room and clean up, he mutters with a smirk that only I could see and hear, "You're so graceful, Mad Dog."