Chapter 2

He smirks, and I can tell immediately that I was right. And also that this kid seems full of hot air. I knew I had good reasons to not like Martin Garrix.

"It is, actually. You like my music?" I smirk in return. "I'm not impressed by people like you because you're young and apparently attractive. I'm seeing "young" right now, but definitely not "attractive"." He seems a little surprised at first, but recovers immediately.

"I could say the exact same thing about you. Young but not-so-attractive. How do you know about me? Just the radio?" I shake my head. "No. I write songs too. I finished one last night, actually." He laughs. "Really? How long have you been a wannabe DJ?"

I have to admit, his words hurt a little, but I'm not going to let him see that. "Wow. You came from humble beginnings, too, if what I heard is true. Nice of you to crush someone that's following their dreams just like you."

He looks even more surprised now. "Whatever," he mutters. "I'm going to lunch."

I nod and lead the way, not saying anything and not expecting him to, either. I feel a bit bad abandoning him here in the cafeteria to find his own place to sit (I have some bad memories about finding a table myself), but then I remember how cruel he just was to me.

"You're on your own, kid," I think to myself, and quickly join a group of my friends. "Madi! Finally!" I grin as my friends welcome me. "Hey, guys."

I feel an arm around my waist and lean in to the familiar body of my boyfriend, Matt. "Who's that guy you were walking with, Madi? He looked kind of pissed off to me." I smile. Matt is super protective. "His name is Martin, he's a new kid, and he picked me to show him around the school and stuff."

Matt clutches my waist tighter. "Yeah, well, make sure he knows you're taken." I grin at him. "Of course. He's a jerk, anyway. I dislike him already." At my reassurance, he lets go of my waist and joins his friends at his lunch table.

I sit down by Anna, and Lauren and Hailey, my other two best friends. We are so engrossed in our conversation for a while that we don't hear the girls screaming until one of my other friends frantically grabs my arm and shakes it. The four of us stand up like about half of the other kids in the lunchroom.

"OH MY GOD IT'S MARTIN GARRIX!!!" Is all I hear over and over again. "Oh, come on," I mutter, and duck away from my confused friends.

I push and elbow my way through the crowd of kids, trying to get to the middle of the commotion. I feel Matt's hand on my shoulder, but I just yell, "Gimme a second, okay?" and keep shoving.

I finally get through all the screaming girls and grab Martin's hand. He's just sitting, shocked, in the middle of the pile of girls. "Follow me," I say right by his ear and he jumps to his feet. 

I shove back through the idiot girls, none of which seem to notice that the object of their attention is now running down the hall to find an empty classroom to hide in. I find an empty science classroom and flip a couple of lights on, immediately brightening the room.

Martin slowly follows me into the room, and sits on one of the tables a few feet away from me. It's like he doesn't want to get too close. He probably just has a girlfriend or something.

I'm starting to get worried after a minute about how awkward it is when suddenly I hear screaming girls and footsteps. Martin gives me a weird look and I roll my eyes. "They're looking for you. Here, come here real quick."

Since this is a science class, the teacher has a huge long counter as a desk, with a massive cabinet underneath it. It's just one big space, and five kids can easily fit in it. I remember once that actually happened: the teacher was taking attendance and four boys were missing, and suddenly they all just popped out from the huge desk.