Chapter 10

Madi looks like she's about to cry. I want nothing more than to hold her. So I do.

I take the magazines gently from her hands and toss them onto the floor behind me before grabbing her hands and pulling her into me. Her skin is so soft, and her dark brown hair tickles my neck as she lays her head on my bare chest. I cross my arms over her back and she wraps hers around my neck.

My heart warms as she holds on to me and pulls me a little closer, sighing with momentary content.

After a minute she pulls away and I take her hand and lead her up to my room. She sits silently on my messy, unmade bed, and as I take a step closer to her, I see tears in her downturned eyes.

"Madi." She tilts her head up a fraction. "This isn't a big deal. No one reads this crap anyway. And anyone who does "care" will forget about it in a week. I promise."

She lifts her head up and glares at me. "Why do you care. Why are you being nice to me, Martijn? Pick a mood and stick with it. Don't be pissed off at me one day and then act like you're my best friend the next."

For once in my life, I decide to ignore her and plop down next to her on my bed, taking in a big breath. I have to tell her now. I have to. She would understand now, because of the tabloids.

"I'm here because I attacked a press member."

My head spins with the memory. 

I was about to do a show in Amsterdam, my hometown. Not a huge show, but it was a pretty big deal to me. A huge deal. It was right at home, and Elise was with me. She couldn't wait to see me perform, and I couldn't wait to see her there in the audience.

I jumped out from the car and grabbed her hand, leading her through the throng of cameras and flashes. I heard yelling of all kinds of questions, but one voice stuck out.

"Martin! Is it true you had an affair with another woman? Martin, who is she? Does your girlfriend know you cheated on her? Hey, Martin's girlfriend! Honey, he cheated on you. Get away from that shitbag!"

I don't know if I was so hellbent on the night being perfect or if I cared so much that Elise knew I would never cheat on her or hurt her.

"He accused me of some ridiculous shit, I honestly can't even remember what, and normally nothing those idiots say has the slightest impact on me, but the next thing I knew I was pounding that fucker's face into the ground."

What's in the tabloids now about us right now will never compare to what was in every magazine the day after I made that mistake. And shortly after that, Elise decided I wasn't worth it, and so did Spinnin, so after about a month, I was moved to Boca Grande as a long and extended "time-out."

I can't tell Madi about Elise, I can't tell anybody about her, but who cares. I'll see her again someday. I'll get her back.

Madi

I can sense that there's something that Martijn isn't telling me, but he's already told me so much that whatever it is can't matter that much. I give him a weak smile through my probably tear-stained face.

"Thanks for telling me. I get it now. Can you stop being so grumpy now, though?"

He laughs. He actually laughs. At what, I don't know. Maybe relief at the situation. Or probably cause I'm not yelling at him anymore. 

Martijn

"Only if you stop being grumpy, too."

I can't help but stare at her now. She looks so gorgeous in the morning light shining through my window. I feel guilt course through me again, the same way it does every time I think about how attractive Madi is.