Chapter 22

"Hey, America." My head snaps up at a voice that, albeit familiar, is not the one I'm expecting to hear.

"Bastian," I breathe, and he smiles kindly. The gray sky that frames his face accentuates his blue eyes, making them seem even bluer.

"What are you doing out here in the rain? The next tram doesn't come for probably fifteen minutes." His voice is deep and rumbling, like a river churning over rocks. "Can I give you a lift?"

I frown, confused. "On what?"

Bastian gestures to a motorcycle sitting just outside the shelter.

I pause for a moment at this, weighing the risk and potential consequences. Plus, Martijn would not approve. 

At this thought, I grin. "Hell yes." Then I remember what Martijn had said to him. "Wait, Bastian. I have to tell you something. Martijn told you I was his girlfriend, but he was lying cause he didn't trust you. He's really just -"

"A friend?" Bastian interrupts me. I nod, feeling silly. Of course he's not going to believe me.

"America, I don't give a shit what you are to each other. I think you're beautiful and if you want to take a ride on my bike, you're most welcome to." He grins and winks at his double entendre, then stands, offering me his hand.

I blush at this but take it and he pulls me to my feet, and I'm standing close to his tall, lean body. Suddenly feeling incredibly confident, I wrap my arms around his neck and kiss him. He seems surprised for a moment before kissing me back, placing his hands on my hips and running them up and down my body.

I break the kiss and wink at him. Bastian smirks and grabs my hand, leading me to his motorcycle. I get on behind him and he hands me a helmet. I fumble with the straps for a moment before he pushes my hands out of the way and snaps the buckles under my chin. I watch him as he does so, and realize how handsome he is. His blonde hair is mussed from the rain, but he still looks incredible.

Bastian snaps on his own helmet and reaches behind him, grabbing my hands and showing me that I should hold on to his waist. I blush a little bit at this, but clutch him tightly as he revs the engine and zips away from the curb.

As we shoot down the narrow streets and alleyways, the engine humming, I can't help but yell "Woooooooo!" Despite what just happened, I can't help but feel overjoyed. I don't need Martijn. Since he dropped into my life, he's only caused trouble and strife for me.

Bastian directs the motorcycle over a bridge and makes a sharp left into traffic, guiding us between the lanes, passing cars on either side of us, narrowly dodging their mirrors. "Thread the needle!" he yells back at me, and I can't help but laugh and clutch him tighter.

"Where are we going?" I yell, and he yells back, "You'll see!"

As we drive, the rain stops and most of the clouds vanish. The sun peers through what clouds are left and dries the rain.

He drives us further downtown, and ahead I can see the road coming to an end. In front of us lies a plaza surrounded by what look like palaces and government buildings. People amble along the vast open space, alone or in large groups. In the very center is a small park, decorated with paths, benches, and intricate statues. It's gorgeous.

Along two parallel sides, open air cafes sit, serving tourists and citizens alike under their canvas tops and strung lights.

Although the few mopeds and motorized vehicles that cruise the square are moving slowly, Bastian revs the engine and zips through the bustle. I hold on tight, a little nervous.

He drives us past one of the cafes, ruffling tablecloths and attitudes. I grin as we pass the staring people. This is so fun. This is what I need in a relationship. Excitement. Adventure. Martijn could give you that. I shrug the thought away. Yeah, well Martijn isn't here and I'm feeling pretty adventurous, so.