Chapter 21

I finally look from Martijn's shocked face over to the object, or rather, person, of his attention. She stands looking just as surprised as he does, and I rack my brain but I can't imagine who this girl could be. She is blonde and blue eyed, with a perfect ski slope nose. 

They start talking in Dutch and for probably the third or fourth time in the last month I wish my high school had offered Dutch as a language. I can't comprehend a single word of what they say, and settle for interpreting their body language and tones of voice instead.

Martijn seems happy but unsure of how to act, as his intonation rises and falls quickly, unable to find a middle ground. The girl... I don't know what to think. Outwardly, she seems happy to see Martijn. But as a girl familiar with talking to boys I don't want to talk to, I can tell she's uncomfortable and conflicted, and her discomfort is masked by shyness. 

Martijn walks quickly down the hall to the girl and pulls her in for a hug. Her blonde hair falls over his shoulder, and I can't help but cross my arms over my chest in discomfort and fix my eyes on my feet awkwardly. A twinge of jealousy tweaks my heart as I look up and see her hands spread across his muscular back. Her blonde hair and top of the ski slope are visible over his broad shoulders, but her eyes have vanished beneath her eyelids as she takes in their embrace.

Who is this girl?

The situation makes me realize that I don't know Martijn... at all, really. I've known him for almost a month, and that's all. Before that he was a world-famous DJ, touring the world, and I lived in the same town every day for my entire life. The people I've met and made connections with are pure strangers to him, and vice versa.

I feel like I'm intruding by watching them, and am about to look away and pull out my phone or something when the girl opens her eyes and stares right at me. I expect her to look uncomfortable, but as soon as her eyes land on me, the look in them has changed. Slowly, leisurely, she ends the embrace. Her fingers slide slowly down Martijn's arms to his hands. Martijn grips her tiny hands in his large ones and continues talking to her, and I know his striking hazel eyes must be poring into hers. I hold myself tighter.

Martijn

"Elise?" I ask.

"Hi Martijn," she says shyly. 

I stride down the hall towards her. "How... how are you?" She looks so beautiful. Although it's only been a couple months since I saw her last, I feel like I'm looking at her for the first time.

"I'm... good. How are you? Why are you here?" Something feels off about her. I can't place it.

"Good. I'm glad. I'm well. I did it, Elise. I got my contract back."

"Oh. That's great!" I've reached her, and I pull her into my arms. Her hands spread on my back, and I nearly sigh at the feeling. At the same time, I feel an immense amount of guilt - the girl I started having feelings for is standing fifteen yards down the hall, and Elise has no clue.

After not long enough, she slides her hands from my shoulders down my arms. Her fingers leave a trail of goosebumps. Her hands reach mine, and I grab them before they can leave my body. 

I glance over my shoulder at Madi, who's standing down the hall with her arms crossed, looking awkwardly at us.

"Elise." She looks up at me, and her electric blue eyes shine into my soul. "Can we get together? To talk. Please."

She takes my hand. "Of course, Martijn."

I grin at her. "I'll text you." 

"Yes. You should," she replies, and smiles, flashing her beautiful teeth, her eyes crinkling at the corners. The feeling I had before disappears, replaced with joy that I'm with her. My Elise. She squeezes my hands, and placing her right hand on my cheek, leaves a lingering kiss on the left side of my face.

When we pull back, her eyes flicker over my shoulder for a brief second.

"What is it? I ask.

"What are you doing the rest of your stay here? And today? I just want to talk to you. I feel like a lot has happened."

I nod enthusuastically. "I'm not doing anything today. I have a week until my contract goes into effect."

Her hands smooth my chest. I nearly shiver at her touch. "Let me grab my bag."

She walks past me and past Madi, and through a door near the end of the hall.

I blink. Did that really just happen or have I just gone crazy because I miss her so much?

Someone walks by me but it doesn't even register. I actually have a chance at getting her back. I lean against the wall and hope so hard that she'll understand that I only freaked out at that press guy because I didn't want anything to come between us. I realize the irony of this; I tried so hard to protect her and keep her that I lost her.

But I've been given a second chance.

A small hand touches my upper arm.

"Ready?"

Madi

They finish talking and the girl squeezes Martijn's hands and gives him a long ass kiss on the cheek. Finally, she makes her way down the hall past me. She doesn't even look at me as she approaches and passes me. As she walks, I glance at Martijn. He appears transfixed - his gaze never leaves her until she's vanished into a door down the hallway. Only then does his reverie break.

I don't even know what to think. I clutch my contract in my hands as if for comfort, and walk down the hallway the opposite way as the perfect blonde girl went. I honestly don't even think Martijn notices.

I thank the receptionist as I leave the building alone, and she nods kindly. I push the doors open, stepping out into a downpour. Of course. I run for the trolley waiting down the road at a stop. As I sprint towards it, its doors close and it pulls away from the curb in the opposite direction. 

Damn everything. I reluctantly enter the small shelter and sit on the bench. Martijn's probably going to come out of Spinnin' soon, and the last thing I want is to talk to him or be near him. 

I feel like such a fool. I was catching feelings for him, and all this time, he has some other girl. I mean, I know that we never put any label on what we had, but it felt like there was something there, something between us. Just last night... just this morning! I was teasing him, we were... not dressed appropriately, to say the least. 

I shiver suddenly, as the frigid rain sinks through my skin and drips down onto my bones like tears. Martijn sits down next to me, and can't help but turn away from him. I know I have no real reason to be upset because we never called ourselves anything, but at the very least he could have told me he had feelings for another girl.

I turn back to the boy next to me. I have no plan - I don't know if I'm going to tell him off or just say that we should spend some time apart, but either way, my mouth opens. "Martijn -"