Chapter 4

All the kids are standing and starting to get off the bus. Martijn is going to get seen unless I do something right now. So I make a choice. Probably a really dumb one, but I do it anyway. And he sure as hell doesn't deserve the choice I make after the jerk he's been to me since he met me.

I pull the hood of his sweatshirt over his face, grab his hand, and pull him behind me as the other kids get off the bus. I try to ignore how crazy soft his hand feels in mine. Once we step on the ground, I yank his arm so he gets the message. He steps beside me and keeps his head down as we walk slowly in the middle of a throng of tall kids who probably play basketball.

When we finally reach the doors I abruptly let go of his hand and look behind at the doors we just entered through. Good. The paps are still stretching their necks at the few remaining buses still pulling up. They completely missed Martijn.

I turn back around to see - no Martijn. I sigh and go to my locker. Fine. Don't thank me for saving your sorry butt. Next time I'm not going to help him with his screwed up life, I think firmly to myself.

I go to my locker and see the door of Martijn's next to me hanging open. That's dumb. Whatever. Not helping you.

As I open my locker, I zone out a little and remember what Martijn's hand felt like in mine. His hands were larger, with longer fingers, and mine, small and thin. They fit well together...

"Madi! Hellooo?" I blink as two fingers snapped in front of my eyes. I smile at Anna's mischievous face.

"So. I saw you holding hands with Martijn. Aaand so did Matt." My smile vanishes. "Ohh, great," I mutter, dropping my head to my hands and rubbing my eyes with my fingers in aggravation.

"Is he upset?" I ask nervously, and Anna shakes her head. "Just a little mad. I think if you just talk to him he'll be fine." I nod and grab my books, slamming my locker shut.

********

Matt isn't very mad - he seems like he couldn't care less, which is weird. He's usually much more protective over me, but recently he hasn't been. He must be really stressed over finals.

Only three more days!

*******

Three days later, the bell rings for the last day of school. Everyone rockets out of their seats and into the hallway as if shot from a cannon. I am no slower than the rest, snatching all my books from my locker and shoving them into my bag.

Martijn has had no problem at school these past few days. I see him with a horde of girls that must like his music or think he's attractive or something. I ignore him for the most part, except when he needs my help with something like escaping the paps.

My phone vibrates, startling me, and I pull it out of my pocket to read the text Matt just sent me. <<happy summer, babe! see you at the party tonight>> I smile at the cute text when another one pops up on my screen, again from Matt. <<happy summer, angel! hope i can see you more often now ;)>>

I frown a little. Why would he send the same thing to me twice? And I see him every day during the school year anyway, it's almost clingy for him to say he misses me.

I hear my friends calling my name and I put my phone away, completely forgetting the texts. We make plans to meet at the party tonight, and Anna and I agree that she'll meet at my house so we can walk to it together.

Every year on the first night of summer, the whole grade has a huge party with a bonfire on the beach in front of one of the popular kid's houses - so it's harder to get busted by the cops. Everyone meets up there at 5:00 to swim and hang out and enjoy the first day of summer. It is the biggest, most popular party of the year, and we all wait 365 impatient days for it.