Chapter 13

I grin and add the unknown number to my contacts as Martijn Garritsen before texting him back.

<<hey Martijn! lol how'd you hack my phone??>>

He replies quickly with <<ur password was easy to guess. i tried ur address first and then I remembered ur mum told me u liked Hardwell!>>

I smile at this. He is pretty smart. Hardwell's birthday is January 7, so my password is 0107. Of course since he and Martijn are buddies, he'd know Hardwell's birthday.

<<nice :))>>

<<ikr. hey are u feeling okay from earlier? meaning from matt ;)>>

<<hahaha ur sooo funny. yes i'm ok from matt lol. Thanks again for saving me :)>>

<<no prob Mad Dog. aaand did that lil kiss help make u feel better?>>

I recoil at that last text. What? Did he just kiss me to apologize for what he did to me relating to Henry? Or because he feels bad about what Matt did?

"Hey, who've you been texting this whole time? Oh my gosh, is it Henry? Girl if it's Henry, ditch him straight up. If he thinks he's too good for you he doesn't know what's up."

I shut my phone off and tuck it in my bag, and face Anna with a smile I don't really feel inside. "No, it's not Henry. Just my mom."

"Ohh. Well," she pauses, searching my face, "You all good?" She knows me too well. I grin again. "Yeah! Let's enjoy this beautiful day!" I turn my face up to the clouds and resolve to forget about that text. Who needs boys. They're just a bundle of trouble.

But... that kiss. It felt so good, like I'd never been kissed before. It felt like we were two pieces of a puzzle that fit so well together. And then that text ruined it.

Anna grabs my hand, and instantly my thoughts are interrupted as she drags me down to the water's edge.

Martijn

Madi stops replying to my texts a little while after I told her I'd put my number in her phone, and I guess it's because she's with Anna. Crossing the house from the front door to the back, I stand in the gentle breeze that blows through the screened-in porch.

Sure enough, from here I can see Anna tugging Madi by the hand down to the ocean. "Wow." Even from this distance, Madi looks incredible in a purple bikini - scoop necked on top and quite revealing in the back on the bottom, even for Florida.

Watching her dancing in the waves somehow reminds me of the kiss we just shared. I wanted to kiss her perfect lips since I'd met her, but for some reason, it was so much better than I'd even imagined. I had felt it through my whole body when our lips touched, not just... well.

Placing an absentminded hand on the window frame, I wonder how she felt about it.

Suddenly I remember Elise. Oh no. What have I done. A wave of dizziness crashes over me as the memories pour back in.

All the times I'd almost done stuff with girls in this town are forgotten because none of them meant squat to me. Now all I can think about is how heartbroken Elise will be when I tell her that I kissed Madi. Because when I kissed her, it was because I care about her. And because she cares about me. She has to, or she'd never have done all that stuff for me, being kind to me even after I'd been a total jerk.

But I have to back off. I have to. Or I'll never get Elise back. What the hell am I doing chasing girls and... falling for them? No. But Elise is all that matters. She loves me, and I love her. I have to get her back.