Chapter 5

It's just Dylan. He's one of the most popular kids, someone all the guys want to be buddies with and all the girls want to date. I think he just broke up with his last girlfriend, which is nice for all the girls who absolutely adore him.

I'm about to tell him to leave because I don't want to make Matt angry when I realize I am now a single lady. I smile at him.

"What's going on? You're the most gorgeous girl here, you should be dancing on some guy right now," he says and sits next to me.

I blush. "Thanks, I guess. My stupid boyfriend - I mean, ex-boyfriend - just ditched me for some slut." I lean my chin on my hands and my elbows on my knees, looking out into the small crowd some 40 feet away from us.

Suddenly I feel a hand finding its way swiftly up my thigh. "Like I said, you should be dancing on some guy right now." I look up at him nervously, and then a pinch of light from the fire fully illuminates his face and I can see immediately that he is drunk out of his mind.

His hand creeps further up my thigh and wanders up my lower back. He leans over me and pushes me onto the ground. "Um, Dylan?" I ask, now a little afraid. I don't really want to do anything with him around all these people.

Dylan ignores me and holds me down while pulling my dress down and throwing it behind him. "Dylan!" I yell as loud as I can but no one hears me over the distance to the crowd and the noise.

He gives me an angry look and suddenly I'm terrified. His hands reach over my bikini bottoms and touch me where I do not want him to. He sticks his hands down where I had no intention of them going. I'm immobile, partly from his hands pinning me down and partly from fear.

"What the HELL are you doing?" An angry voice says from behind Dylan. He turns around slowly to see who would dare interrupt what he's doing to me. When another flicker of light hits his face just right, I can see an evil smirk twisting his face.  As soon as his hands leave my body I try to find my clothes. I grab my dress and try to put it on, but my hands are shaking far too much for any action to be effective.

"Madi? Are you okay?" It's Martijn coming to my rescue. What? I open my mouth to respond but am cut off by Dylan pushing Martijn with all his strength away from me. Martijn hits the sand hard and groans a violent exhale. He efficiently pushes Dylan off of him and quickly gets back up.

"You trying to mess around with my girl?" I frown. "I'm not your girl, Dylan, what the hell are you talking about?" He whirls around to face me and I shrink away. "Shut up, bitch."

He stomps off. I finally realize how wide my eyes are and how hard I'm breathing when Martijn sits down next to me and gives me a strange look. I shake my head to clear it and cross my arms over my chest as a cold gust of wind hits my skin.

"Thanks, Martijn." He says nothing, just pulls his jacket off and offers it to me. I think, once again, I shouldn't take it because Matt will get angry. I then remember as the image of Matt and Angel kissing hits me again. I take the jacket from his hands and pull it around my shoulders. Thank goodness I have bikini bottoms on and not underwear, although if we're being honest, what's the difference.

Martijn finally speaks.  "Okay, you're going home." I look up at him in confusion. "Yeah. Come on, I'm taking you back to your house. Let's go."

I stand up and zip the jacket over my nearly bare chest. As soon as my hand drops back to my side, it's engulfed in his. I look down in shock at our adjoined hands. "M-Martijn?" I stutter.

"We're going," he says, as if he doesn't know that I'm protesting against him holding my hand instead of taking me home. He pushes our way through crowds of people and finally onto the empty part of the beach, starting towards home.