Chapter 27

Martijn

I wake up and sit up, running my fingers through my messy bedhead. The bed next to me is empty, but I feel a pair of eyes on me, and look over to see Madi gazing at me from the bathroom door. 

I see that she's still wearing my shirt, and I recall her drunken state and can't help but smile at that and how sexy she looks in my clothing. I can't help but tease her a little bit, even though she's clearly hungover and can't remember if she fucked me last night.

 I watch her, mesmerized, as she wrestles her hair into a bun, and suddenly I see a cluster of dark marks on her neck. I'm by her side in a second, jealousy nearly consuming me. I ask her what's on her neck, but she has no idea until she looks in the mirror. 

Then for some reason she seems to remember something and storms out of the apartment after changing out of my shirt. 

I sit on the bed and turn on the TV, not knowing what to do and not able to text her because she forgot her phone.

Maybe an hour later she bursts back into the room and as I try to greet her, she shushes me and hums a string of notes into her phone. I grin at this.

She eventually calls me cocky and I tell her she's a lightweight, and then she - she reminds me of what happened yesterday. Of how Elise broke my heart for a second time. I know she didn't mean to - she was just calling me out for leaving her at Spinnin', but it reminded me of what happened. Of everything that I did, and how none of it mattered because she had thrown our relationship away long before that.

I slam the door behind me and stalk down the street to the bus station, only one thing on my mind. Well, two. 

I take the bus to Spinnin' Records and march through the door. I walk past the receptionist, and she calls after me in Dutch, "Do you have an appointment?" I almost growl at her and throw open the door to Andrew's office.

He's sitting at his desk, and someone I've never seen sits in the chair in front of him. As I step through the door, leaving it open behind me, Andrew looks at me, surprised. "Good morning, Martijn. Do we have a meeting scheduled?" For some reason, his impeccable British accent angers me even more. I lean onto his desk, my knuckles pressing into the wood. I hope I look intimidating.

"No," I reply, and he opens his mouth to protest my presence, I'm sure. "This won't take long," I continue. "I want out. I'm ripping up our contract. I don't want to work with you anymore. You made me go live somewhere I didn't want to because I made one tiny, insignificant mistake, you have the rights to my music, and you try to control what I release, what my personal branding is, and I've had it. Martin Garrix is done with Spinnin' Records." I lift my hands from the desk.

I nod to the young man in the chair in front of Andrew, "What's up," and walk out the door, slamming it behind me.

I know that the reasons I gave Andrew aren't the only reasons I have for leaving, but they're the only ones he needs to know.

*******

In the foyer of the hotel Madi and I are staying at, I tell the concierge that we'll be out by noon before heading up to our room. I step back into the hotel room but don't see Madi in sight. I step into the bedroom and hear a shower running and grin. Perfect. I grab her clothes off the floor and the bed and stuff them in her suitcase, along with her phone and charger. I hear the shower turn off and rustling in the bathroom.

I clean up everything that I've scattered around the hotel room and shove it in my suitcase, walking back into the bedroom just as Madi steps into the room wearing just a towel. "Ah," I say, smirking and walking past her into the bathroom, "I see you finally got that shower you wanted so badly last night. It's a shame I wasn't here, though."