Chapter 14

After dropping Anna back off at her house with her pain medication and leg wrap, I pull into a small McDonald's, the only non-small business in my town. I need something mainstream out of this insane day.

I order a large fry, two hashbrowns, and a smoothie. Food sent straight from heaven, I swear. I turn to ask Martijn if he wants anything. He laughs, and I can't tell if it's sarcastic or not. "Do they have pizza?" My eyebrows scrunched in confusion. "It's... a burger place. Tell me you've eaten at McDonald's."

He raises his eyebrows at me. "Shut up, I can't tell when you're being sarcastic! Do you like pizza or something?"

His eyebrows raise so high I'm afraid they're going to fall off. "Do I like pizza?"

"Careful, if you make that face any more, your eyebrows might raise the roof." Martijn laughs again, this time at my bad joke. "Hilarious. And dude, pizza is my favorite food of all time. I can't believe you didn't know this about me. I thought you were my biggest fan!"

*******

I turn the wheel hand over hand and pull into the garage. The space next to my car is still empty. My family is still at my grandparents, but they should be home soon.

I awkwardly invite Martijn in, but he declines. "I should work on music for awhile, I think. Thanks though." I'm a little grateful for his negative answer, because what would we do if he came over? Make out?

I nod awkwardly. As he exits the garage and turns to cut through to his house, I call his name. "Martijn!" He pokes his head back through the door. "You rang?" I smile. "Thanks. For helping me out today."

He grins sincerely. "No problem, Mad Dog."

I smile as he leaves. What a change from the Martin Garrix that showed up at my school a couple weeks ago. I wonder what changed him. Hopefully he stays like this. I like this Martijn.

I jog out to the mailbox to grab the bunch of letters and magazines that sit inside it. It's supposed to be my sisters' job to grab the mail, but it always sits there forgotten.

It takes me both hands to carry the stack into the house. It's amazing the mailbox could hold this much. I dump the papers onto the kitchen table to sift through them and chuck the spam. As my hands shift the envelopes over to one side, one catches my eye.

All the oxygen disappears from my lungs. I grab the letter and rush up to my room.

Martijn

I told Madi I didn't want to come over because I had music to work on, but really... I didn't want the temptation of her in front of me. I had to focus on getting what I really wanted. My career, and Elise.

Plus, after kissing her, I felt... awkward. What would I say to her? That maybe I shouldn't have done that? That it was more... experimental than real?

Yeah, it was experimental until you realized it was real, my conscience muttered. I wave a hand through the air, as if my subconscious was a bug to be swatted away.

Maybe I should work on music. I have so many unfinished tracks. Yeah, that's a good idea. Take my mind off of this weird day.

I close the bedroom door behind me and sit behind my computer. If I look to my left and lean my chair back a little, I can see into Madi's room. I purposefully lean forward so I'm not tempted to peek into her life and as I slide my headphones over one ear, I hear a door slam.

Overcome by curiosity, I lean back and my chair catches me. Madi is standing in the center of her room holding something, a letter, it looks like.

She holds it at arm's length, as if she's afraid that if she brings it any closer, it might burn her. I'm so curious now. What's inside it?