Chapter 25

Martijn

I nearly sprint back to the hotel room on streets illuminated by lamps at each corner. It's late. It must be nearly midnight. All traces of my sadness are gone. I don't need any girl who sleeps around and tries to get with multiple guys at once.

I shove the key card into its slot and the tab above the door blinks green. I shove the door open, almost tripping, and flip on the lights on the wall that my hand rams into.

Empty.

How? is my first thought, followed by a feeling of sheer panic shooting up from my feet to my heart.

Where is she? "Madi?" I call, slamming the door behind me. She's probably just in the bathroom.

I walk into the bedroom and knock on the closed bathroom door. No answer. I push it open. Empty.

I almost ransack the apartment, checking everywhere, making sure she isn't just hiding somewhere, waiting to scare me.

Shit. Shitshitshit. It's late, too, later than I thought. Twelve thirty. And she's in a country she's never been to before.

I tug my phone from my pocket, momentarily distracted by several texts and even a missed call from Elise.

"Martijn, please call me. You have no idea how sorry I am about what happened. I was going through a hard time"

This text is preceded by several of a similar caliber, and I simply text back "If dating me was the "hard time," then I completely understand."

I swipe back on the screen to find text messages between Madi and I. We haven't texted since our first kiss. My hand drops slackly with my phone in it, my thoughts clouded by that memory, by the feeling I had when I kissed her for the first time.

I had wanted to do it for so long. She was just so... attractive, and I was drawn to her like a magnet. I wanted to see what it would feel like to kiss a girl like her.

When it finally happened, it felt like what it would be like trying to kiss a flame. Absolutely electrifying. And I wasn't satisfied by the one kiss. I thought I would be, but I never was. I just wanted to keep kissing her and kissing her.

I'm brought back to the present by my phone buzzing. I grasp it tighter, peering at the screen, hoping so hard...

It's just Elise again. "Please, Martijn."

She's just trying to get my attention. I swipe back to my texts with Madi and quickly type in Dutch "Hey Mad Dog, I got home and haven't seen you, are you okay? I can come get you if you need me to. I'm really sorry for ditching you at Spinnin. Please just let me know if you're alright."

As soon as I send it, I kick myself. Dutch, Martijn, really? I retype the text in English and send it.

I glance at the clock on the wall even though I'm clutching my phone in my hand. Twelve thirty-five. Time is passing so slowly.

I feel panic rise inside me again, and I resist the urge to check the hotel room again for her.

In a sudden moment of genius, I grab my wallet and sprint out of the room, slamming the door behind me. I race down the stairs when the elevator doesn't come immediately, and speed over to the front desk.

"Hey," I begin in English, and the man behind the desk frowns at the foreign greeting, tapping his coworker. "I mean -" I stammer in Dutch. "I speak Dutch, sorry. Do you have any rooms for message 377?"

The man chuckles. "For a native speaker, you don't have great vocabulary."

I almost growl at him. "You know what I mean. It's urgent."