Liam Dunbar | Heather

@supernaturalarrows

Liam was your best friend, he was in most of your classes and you'd had a crush on him from the moment he arrived in Beacon Hills. But, you saw they way he looked at her. Hayden, what a sight for sore eyes. She had him mesmerized, while simultaneously hating his existence. 

You sat down in your regular seat at the back of your English class and got out your books, while the rest of your class slowly filtered in. You see Liam approach his spot next to you, he smiles and sit down. "You're sitting with me at lunch right? I really need to talk to you." He whispers as the teacher begins teaching. You nod and he turns his attention to the teacher, tapping his foot rapidly. 

After the period ends, you and Liam walked to the cafeteria together. You sit down at a table and he slowly takes some snacks out of his bag, "What is it you wanted to tell me?" He smiles and take a bite of his granola bar, "Hold on, I would like to enjoy this nutritious snack before we dive in." You roll your eyes and wait for him to finish chewing. "So, you know how Hayden hates my guts, for.." he pauses, "Unknown reasons." You feel your heart sink, you had the crazy idea that he was going to ask you on a date. Liam's voice faded to the background as you thought about Hayden. You wanted to hate her so badly, it would be so much easier, but how could you? She's such an angel. 

 Liam shakes his hand in front of your face, "So, what do you think I should do?" You look at him with a blank stare, "Oh.. um, I don't know. I have to go to the washroom. I'll see you later." You pick up your bag and walk out of the cafeteria. You walk all the way home without realizing. 

It's been a couple months since you talked to Liam, you switched seats in your classes together and stopped sitting with him at lunch. Instead, he sat with Hayden. At first, he tried calling and texting you, sometimes he would come to your house but eventually he gave up. He put his energy into making Hayden happy and seemed to forget about you. He gave her his sweater, the one he let you wear when you were upset. It's just polyester but he likes her better. 

That day, after you thought he'd forgotten all about you, he corners you in an empty hallway. "Why have you been avoiding me. It's been months, talk to me please." You avoid his eyes, looking down at your shoes, "I'm not avoiding you. I just thought you'd want to spend more time with your new girlfriend." 

He laughs sarcastically, "Hayden is not my girlfriend." You look up at him, "What?" He takes a step back, "She was never my girlfriend, we went on one date and realized we're better off as friends." 

You push him further away, "You're such an asshole, you let me walk away thinking she was girlfriend!" He scoffs, "I didn't let you do anything. I called, I sent you texts, I came to your house and you pushed me away! Why?" 

"Because I have feelings for you and I thought you wanted to be with Hayden. " You storm past him and shake away his hand as he tries to grab your arm. You keep walking, out of the school, past your house and eventually end up in the forest just as the sun sets. You didn't recognize this part of the forest in the dark. Branches and twigs snap under your feet but you start hearing them behind you as well, you convinced yourself it was just a squirrel. That was until you heard a snarl and glowing yellow eyes appeared in front of you. Your body stood, paralyzed with fear as you tried to make out the shape of this thing in front of you. The creature started walking towards you but stopped as something else approached from behind you. You could hear the footsteps and Liam's voice rang out, "Leave her alone." You heard the creature grunt before turning and running in the opposite direction. 

"Are you okay?" Liam puts his hand on your shoulder, you jump at his touch. "No, I'm not okay! What was that thing?" He pulls you into his body, "I'll explain that later. Right now, we're going to get you home." 

As you approach your front door, Liam takes your hand and leads you to the swing hanging from your porch. The swing you used to do homework on, with him. "I know I probably could have handled the Hayden thing better but I had no idea you felt the same way I did." You feel a sense of relief wash over you, he placed his hands on your face and pulled you in, pressing his warm lips against yours. Finally.