2

Chapter Two

You may now kiss the bride." Humarap sa akin si Elaine at ngumiti. I felt her squeeze my hand and I laced our fingers together.

            "Elainey, you're tearing up," puna ko sa kanya habang nagpipigil ng ngiti. I am also happy about this occasion. She let go of a gleeful laugh before carefully wiping the tears that were threatening to fall from her eyes. She was careful not to ruin her eye make-up.

            "I can't help it. Nakakaiyak naman talaga! Weddings always make me cry,"  sambit niya bago muling humarap sa altar kung saan nandoon ang pari at ang ikakasal.

            My friend Kervin looked so happy while staring at his bride, who happens to be my secretary, Beatrice. He smiled like she was the best thing in the whole Milky Way galaxy. He tilted her head sideways and started to lean forward to plant his lips on hers. The guests cheered loudly, celebrating with the two of them.

            "Someday, I'm going to marry you, too," pangako ko sa kanya. She was dabbing her handkerchief on her eyes while sniffing. Napalapit rin kasi siya kay Beatrice. Sumandal siya sa balikat ko. Hinalikan ko ang tuktok ng ulo niya bago siya inakbayan.

            Elaine makes me feel so happy and secure.

            She is the anchor that is keeping me in place.

            Siya 'yung lagi kong tinatakbuhan kapag stressed ako. Sa kanya ako nagkukuwento ng lahat ng nangyayari sa buong araw ko. Sa kanya ko unang sinasabi ang mga achievements ko. Siya's not just my girlfriend, she's also my confidant.

            "She's tied to me," Kervin raised his wife's hand before saying that. Nagkatinginan kami at tinanguan namin ang isa't isa. I grinned at him and he sniggered back. Parang ang hirap paniwalaan, ang siraulo kong kaibigan ay kasal na ngayon. Soon, he will have mini Kervins running around his house. Elaine went forward and hugged Beatrice. She squealed and returned the tight hug.

            "Your vow was amazing. Naiyak ako, Bea. Congratulations!" She squeezed her hand.

            Beatrice laughed. "Thanks, Laine. You've been a great friend to me. Next time vow mo naman para kay Zade ang iiyakan ko." I pocketed both hands as I observed them in amusement. Nilapitan ako ni Kervin at marahang sinapak sa dibdib.

            "Man, that hurt!" I grimaced before hitting him back on the shoulder. "Congrats, man! Treat your wife nicely, alright?"

            "I'll make her the queen of my world," he said proudly and happily that I was impressed with the conviction I sensed from him.

            "Good. I want to see my secretary happy at all times."

            "You can count on me to always do that."

            "I know I can."

            Nagkuhanan na ng litrato. Matapos ang maikling sandali ay dumeretso kaming lahat sa reception. The place was huge. The program started after half an hour. The host asked a few of Kervin's close friends to give a message. I kept mine brief.

            "I just want to say that I'm incredibly proud of you, Kervin. You got a nice and thoughtful lady, so you should always take good care of her. You're in for another exciting phase of your life, man. I am so happy that you finally grew some balls and admitted that you can't live without Beatrice. I wish you guys a lifetime filled with love and happiness and all the good things."  Kervin gave me two thumbs up before I went down the stage.

            "That was an inspiring message." Elaine winked at me when I sat back next to her.

            "It should be, pinaghirapan ko 'yan kagabi." She laughed. Umusog siya sa akin at inakbayan ko siya. Nakinig kami sa iba pang nagsasalita. Nang matapos sila ay nagulat ako nang lumapit si Kervin sa table namin.