40

Chapter Forty

Maria Samantha

            "Do we really have to go now?" I have just finished taking a bath and one towel was wrapped around the top of my head while another one was covering my body.

            "Babe, we can't miss our flight to Baltimore, okay? We can't, we just can't," he replied before zipping up his small luggage bag. I sat on the bed and stared out of the window and into the clear and captivating sea. It was singing to me in a voice so sweet, luring me to stay.

            "Hindi ba puwedeng mag-extend tayo rito kahit isang day lang?" tanong ko bago pinasadahan ng tingin ang luggage bag kong nakabukas pa rin at nakapatong sa ibabaw ng kama hanggang ngayon. It's hard to believe how incredibly fast time can fly, parang kadarating lang namin dito tapos ngayon ay paalis na agad kami.

            "We can't miss the flight. Huwag ng makulit, alright? I've already made arrangements."

            "What's in Baltimore?" He has kept this part of the trip secret. We were night swimming in the suite pool one night when he suddenly told me he wanted to go to Baltimore after the trip. He just told me he's going to need my passport because he'll have his staff work on my US visa application. To be honest, I was afraid that the application would be denied by the Embassy, but I guess he pulled some strings.

            "You'll find out soon enough, so, get packing or we'll get fucking."

            "Language!"

            "I was kidding."

            "I'll miss this place," I said with a pout. Zade pinched my chin and smiled.

            "Cheer up, mi Dulcinea." He picked up a cream-colored brassiere from the heap of clothes hastily thrown inside my luggage. He pulled my towel and let it fall around my hips.

            "Move your arms for me, please?" I pouted even more before lifting my arms. He gently slid the straps and leaned forward. He gave me a light kiss on the cheek before he strapped it. I reached for an underwear and I glared at him when I noticed that he was smirking playfully while looking at my legs—and the thing between them.

            "I like that view better than sunsets, you know?" He winked. I stuck my tongue out before I turned my back on him to look for something to wear. I settled for black long-sleeve rompers with white details and strap sandals. I heard a soft click and saw him holding his camera. He was beaming as he waited for the picture to develop. And when it did, he looked at it proudly. It was me, with a careless expression, the ocean and the sky peeking from behind.

            "God's a genius," he whispered.

            Zade took my hand and stared at me for a moment, and then he slowly kissed my left ring finger without breaking eye contact.

            Malalim ko siyang tinignan. Ang mga nangungusap niyang mata, ang matangos niyang ilong, ang mga biloy niyang palaging nang-aakit. His face matured over the years, but I knew I was still staring at the face of the nerdy boy I fell in love with in college.

            He retained his love for literature, for poetry, his passion, his determination.

            Back in Ilocos, during the time we just saw each other after four long years, I remember wondering about a few things. And right now, I can confidently answer those questions myself.

Yes, he still sleeps bare-chested. He still loves blueberry muffins. He still dances to random songs. He still rolls his eyes at Daze.

            Time changes people. But love has the ability to adapt to change.