3

Chapter Three

"Mag-ingat ka ro'n, Elaine Denise. Eat on time and don't forget to always sanitize," seryoso kong sambit habang nakapamulsang nakatayo sa harapan niya. "Don't accept invites from people you don't know. Always lock your room." She pouted at me for the umpteenth time today. She knows how much I find that gesture cute. To be quite honest, I want to kiss her again, but the airport is bustling with activity and travelers are everywhere.

            I didn't want to be the center of everyone's attention.

            "I will. Mag-iingat ako dahil ayaw kong mawalan ka ng magandang nobya."

            Nobya. I like the sound of that word.

            She gave me that charming beam of hers, but I found myself having difficulty returning it. The fact that we won't be seeing each other for a month is starting to make me feel a sense of worry. I always want to be looking after her, making sure she's safe and away from any harm. I don't know if I'm being too overprotective. Alam ko naman na kaya niya ang sarili niya. Ang dami kong paalala sa kanya kagabi, pero ngayon, kahit na alam kong baka naririndi na siya sa mga sinasabi ko, ay inulit ko pa rin ang mga ito.

            "I'll surely miss the sound of your voice."

            "I know you will. I'll always call. I hope it doesn't go to voicemail, though."

            My laugh was low, a bit forced. "I'll stay on the lookout for it."

            Elaine cares so much about her patients. She is dedicating her whole life helping people who are in need. Being helpful is one of her best qualities. Last year, she even won an award in her field because of her philanthropy. I'm the proudest boyfriend in the world.

            Today she was wearing a brown turtleneck and skinny jeans. The boots I gave her last Christmas completed the entire outfit. Her hair was tied behind her neatly with curled locks on both sides of her face making her look youthful, pretty.

            "Cheer up, Zade. I'll be back before you even know it."

            "I can't wait. Bumawi tayo sa isa't-isa kung nakabalik ka na."

            "Let's go to Bali?" Napangiti ako. Matagal niya nang kinukulit sa akin ang pagpunta sa Indonesia. Dahil sa busy schedule ko ay hindi ko siya mapagbigyan. Luckily, Elaine is understanding and never complains when I have to deal with work.

            "Sure. I'll clear my schedule para sa'yo."

            We heard another announcement that flight PR 132 bound to Cagayan de Oro is now accepting passengers. I walked with her inside the terminal and when we were about to pass through security, I gave her the handle to the luggage.

            "I guess this is goodbye for now?" I asked, pocketing both hands.

            "For now," she agreed. She reached forward and tapped my cheek. "I love you."

            "You know I do, too."

            I watched as she dragged her bags inside and was met by her other medical friends and colleagues. When she's no longer in my line of sight, only then did I allow my shoulders to sag. My phone beeped inside my pocket and when I took it out, I saw a text message from her. Just one emoji - a kiss face. Just like that, a smile appeared on my face.

            Turning my back, I fished for my keys and hurriedly went to the parking lot. When I was already inside the car, I let out a heavy sigh and tapped the steering wheel. "I guess it's just you and me, Ricardo, buddy."