36

Chapter Thirty Six

"You look tired." Kervin set a bottle of brandy in front of me. "Drink with me."

            "We are in the office. I don't usually drink while I'm at work. Get lost."

            "I can't. Galit sa akin si Beatrice." He sighed and massaged his temples before slumping on my office couch. "Shit, I don't know what to do with my wife anymore. She said she wants out, pare. She wants out! Can you believe that?"

            Sumandal ako sa swivel chair at pinilit ignorahin ang tila minamartilyo kong ulo. Sumaglit lang ako sa trabaho ngayon dahil ang dami ng nagrereklamong investors sa matagal kong pagkawala. Alam kong marami akong napabayaan sa trabaho ko, pero hindi ko puwedeng pabayaan si Sam. She will always be my main priority.

            I just had to make sure my company doesn't fall apart. I promised her I will give her a good life, and I don't want to rely on my family's money to give her that.

            "Dude, are you even fucking listening?" problemadong anas ni Kervin. He looked like a zombie with his pale complexion and dark eyebags. His hair was also unruly and unusually long that he lost his natural bad boy charisma.

            "I am. I'm sorry. I'm just preoccupied."

            He snorted and downed a wine glass filled with his favorite liquor.

            "Nag-alsa balutan siya kagabi, pare. She took the baby with her. I don't know where she's staying but at least she did not leave the country." He stared at the ceiling, careful not to let his tears fall down. "God, I miss that bitch already."

            "Bakit hindi mo pinigilan? Dapat hindi mo hinayaang lumabas siya ng bahay niyo. Never let your woman walk away from you, because if you do, she might leave you permanently," suhestiyon ko. "Iisipin niya na wala ka talagang pakialam sa kanya. Just give her some time to blow off some steam."

            "Zade, hindi mo naiintindihan! I let her go kasi sumusobra na siya. Busy ako sa kumpanya at palagi niyang iniisip na mayroon akong ibang babae. That's just so unfair! Siya na ang nag-akusa sa akin ng mali tapos siya pa ang may ganang layasan ako. I love her, but she is such a witch!" Nakita ko ang inis sa mga mata niya at napailing na lang ako.

            "You promised to love her, dude—"

            "And I do!" He cut me off but I gave him a mocking and sarcastic look.

            "But not enough, not enough to let go of your pride. Which is more important? Your ego or your wife?" I gave him the ultimate question. Natahimik siya. His jaw grew taut as he contemplated. "Mali siya, oo. Pero kung mahal mo siya, hindi importante kung sino ang tama o mali sa inyong dalawa. Ang importante dapat ay magkasundo kayo, mapasaya mo siya. Isipin mo kung bakit siya nagdududa, kasi natatakot siya. A woman won't be scared of her man committing infidelity if she doesn't have trust issues. Alam mo naman ang nangyari sa ex ni Beatrice, 'di ba?"

            Kervin looked like a kid who got berated for the first time in all of his bratty years of existence. Lumunok siya bago sumandal sa leather couch. Nakatingin lang siya sa kawalan, walang emosyon ang mukha at halatang malalim ang iniisip.

            The intercom blared inside my office and the voice of my secretary resonated. "Sir, it's time for your meeting, they're already in the conference waiting for you."

            "Thank you, Fria, I'll be out in a minute."

            Nilingon kong muli si Kervin at nakita kong mas lalo siyang naguguluhan. I took my coat and wore it, I smoothened the creases and adjusted my neck tie. I can get back to Sam after this. Just one meeting and I can go home and cuddle with her all day.