38

Chapter Thirty Eight

            "He's going to wake up." September smiled and patted Zade's unmoving arm. "This asshole's a tough one, I just know it." Lyric gave me a judging look, but quickly diverted his gaze to Zade. Ashford was eyeing me with pity while leaning against the wall.

            Kinagat ko ang labi ko. I know they're judging me, hindi lang nila masabi sa akin. They may even resent me and I couldn't blame them for feeling that way. I was the root of all Zade's troubles. I don't think Mico is right. Hindi totoong sisirain ako ng pagmamahal sa akin ni Zade. It's the other way around. But despite that, I will never leave, or back away. Because after all that has happened, I believe that we truly deserve each other. Hindi ko sasayangin ang lahat ng paghihirap ni Zade para sa akin, para sa aming dalawa.

            If he doesn't want me anymore, then it has to come out of his mouth.

            Otherwise, I will stay.

            "How long has he been unconscious?" Ashford inquired before walking over to the side of Zade's hospital bed.

            "Two days. Nagpapakita naman siya ng senyales na malapit na siyang magising, gumagalaw ang mga daliri niya," saad ko. Lumakad ako palapit sa kama ni Zade at inabot ang kamay niya. I just held it silently while looking at him. Hindi na ako masyadong natatakot, the doctors said he was safe and stable. He might wake up anytime soon. Kaya naghihintay lang ako, at sila Tita.

            They freaked out at first when they found out. Sumugod silang lahat sa ospital. Akala ko ay magagalit sila sa akin pero niyakap nila akong lahat para palakasin ang loob. Tita and Tito said Zade did a noble thing, and that they have raised him well. Daze, Ate Blythe and Ate Xiana hugged me. They told me they were glad that I was safe. The guys were there, too.

            Si Tita Cassi at si Tito Aaron ang nag-aayos ng mga kasong isasampa kay Mico Aldeguer. He was still alive, yet he was in a critical condition.

            Sumuko ang pinsan niyang si Bernard Aldeguer at umamin sa lahat. He was an accessory to the crime. He said that he really wanted to warn Zade about Mico's plans, but Mico beat him terribly and imprisoned him in one of his hideouts. He was able to escape, but he decided to lie low. At first he was planning to escape the country but then he couldn't carry the weight of his conscience anymore.

            "This wouldn't have happened if Zade didn't rescue you," Lyric spat angrily. I looked at the floor and nodded.

            "I know."

            "Lyric, man. Tone it down a bit." September glowered at him. Lyric grit his teeth and sank back on the couch. I'm sorry is what I don't say. It doesn't feel quite right. I heard the door creak open and saw two ladies walk inside. I gave them a faint smile.

            "Hey, it's been so long," I said as they both gave me a reassuring hug.

            "It's going to be okay, Sam. Prayers work," Shain placated me and I nodded. Alyana June -- who is Ashford's younger sister -- reached for my hand and gave it a squeeze. They were college friends.

            "Thank you," I mouthed. September looked at June but when he noticed I was staring, he quickly looked away.