Chapter 1: I Remember Everything

"Some wounds heal over time; but some do not. Some scars dig deeper and the wound is fresh as new, again."

Nadine's POV

We just came back from New Orleans.

I missed the Philippines. I've missed the sun, the warm air that hugs every soul in a bliss, and the lovely environment.

It's Saturday. Same old Saturdays and the other days of the week. But it is raining, as raindrops pour and slowly trickle on the window pane.

Life has been rough for me. It seems to give you that one shot of something, but leaves you out of nowhere. I almost gave my all and hoped for the best, but fate just did some tricks. Betrayal was all I've got for trusting.

I know how hard it was for my family to see me depressed before -- gloomy, staring blankly at elsewhere, and unhappy..

"Nak? Baba ka na. Breakfast na tayo," a sweet, and calming voice came out upon my mom's invitation.

"Opo, mama" I replied as I try to leave the couch I have been seated at for almost two hours.

As I came down the stairs, I've noticed how my brother came running around the table. I smiled to see something in his brown eyes -- life, happiness, and hope.

I rushed and hugged him. "Good morning, Kaleb", I said as I kissed him on his cheeks.

"Good morning, ate. I was waiting for you to wake up. I knocked a lot of times but you did not open the door," he pouts as his eyes became teary. He does that every single day. He waits for me to wake him up, brush our teeth together, and prepare the table for breakfast.

Then I came to realize, I've missed out on life. I've missed out on my life.

I was 14 when my mom got pregnant with Kaleb. From that moment, I am able to take on responsibilities out of my own. The pregnancy developed a sense of happiness and fulfillment to us. But because mama has an issue regarding childbearing, the process was rather difficult. She had to give up her profession as a physician. I felt the weight of what she's been through, so I swore to myself that we're in this all together. Dad and I took care of her, since she needed to be in a state of complete bed rest, without bathroom privilege. Though there were private nurses, I felt very protective to her and our baby boy.

But the chance of us having another member to add in the circle of our happy family was compromised. He was born with down syndrome, a condition which came with a lot of complication and issues. We were said that we might lose him at an early age. We were not ready for that. We never will be.

I wiped the tears that nearly fell from those beautiful eyes and gave him an apologetic smile, saying, "Ate will try her best to keep up with you, okay?"

He did not reply. Instead he kissed me on the cheeks and smiled. I helped him get seated on his high chair and we prayed before we began eating.

"Nadine, your professors have been asking about you and looking forward to have you back in your class again. Miss ka na nila," dad started our morning talk during breakfast.

He knows exactly why they were all asking for me to come back. Sayang daw, fourth year college na sana ako ngayon. He is a teacher. Perhaps one of the best mentors the academe ever has.

Not to mention, he is the son of the founding father of the school.

"I don't know, pa. Hindi ko pa rin kayang balikan yung place na magpapaalala sa trauma at pain na naranasan ko because of what has happened." I said plainly, trying hard not to cry. Masakit kasi. The pain is just too much, na whenever I remember it, it's like I never gave myself space for a year now...the memories are still fresh as new.

"She is still hurting, pa. Di natin pwede ipagpilitan ang thought of moving on and forgetting. We all know how much James meant to her," mom exclaimed in a sympathetic tone. The last sentence almost made me falter in my own emotions again.

For a year, I've tried to move on, to forget everything that I cannot. The pain, the emptiness, and the betrayal. It is still there.
I remember everything.