Chapter: Losing Grip

We got back together after that fateful night.

But about half a year after getting back together, Nadine had her heart broken again. Shattered, even.

Kaleb had a type of blood dycrasia that has made it harder for him, considering his condition. The medications helped, and he has held on his condition and fought the battle far too long.

Among the family, it was Nadine who cannot seem to let go of Kaleb. Once when he was still confined and under induced sedation after bone marrow biopsy, she was talking to him and never did let go of his hand.

"Jesus loves the little children. He loves me...and He loves you. Once I asked him I wanted a brother to hold hands with while I walk, after a year He blessed Mama with a baby boy...and that is you, Kale. Achi loves you more than ever. Remember that I will never give up on you...on holding your hand and tell you how I love you. But Jesus loves you more than I do...more than most do. So we will surrender everything to Him." nangingilid ang mga luha niya habang hinahalikan ang kamay ng kapatid.

My heart was breaking. Alam ko kung gaano katatag si Nadine. Pero alam ko ring dahan-dahan na siya'ng nawawalan ng lakas. Dahil nasasaktan at takot siya sa kung ano man ang alam namin na pwedeng mangyari.

Her parents came in. Tita was crying as she asked her, "Anak, we don't want to make a decision without your affirmation. Can we finally have this talk?"

"What do you mean, Ma?" naguguluhan niyang sinabi. Hawak-hawak pa rin niya ang kamay ni Kaleb.

"His platelet of 3 is fatal. The doctors said he has been fighting his battle enough na," It was Tito who finally said it.

"I don't get it." I took her slowly away from Kaleb and held her hand. I had to be there for her.

"Baby, we have to let Kaleb rest. He has done great. Trips to the hospital were good but God may have another plans for him." I pleaded and kissed her hand.

"Anak, hindi na kaya ng katawan niya ang trauma ng multiple medical procedures..." patuloy ng papa niya.

Her eyes were full of pain, fear, and denial. "No...no. He is not giving up on us. We need him. Mama needs him. And, I need him, Pa. Mama...you know how much I wanted a brother! Kaya ni Kaleb iyan. He is a fighter."

"Yes, anak. And now, it's time for him to rest. He has shown how brave he was over the years. You will still be his sister. And he will always be the brother you dearly love. I love him so...that is why we also have to let him go. He will always be in pain, pricked by needles and the procedures that will come..." umiiyak na si Tita. "I never wanted to lose him. But to see him in such pain and agony, mas hindi ko kaya. He doesn't let go because he knows you can't."

She hugged me, "Ayoko nang makinig."

The next thing that happened were fast.

He was sedated for him to be stabilized. But his febrile state did not help. After a few hours resuscitating Kaleb due to a flat line, we were given time to say our goodbye to a dear brave child.

"With his lab results and his continuously high-grade fever, I
suggest you take time to be at his side right now. Anything could happen. But our prayers will always be stronger than our fears. He is stronger than all of this." his pedia warmly said.

I hugged Nadine. Words will not be helpful in these times of testing.

"I don't know where to start." she started. "Alam ko dapat ko rin i-let go ang kapatid ko. To completely surrender to His plans for Kaleb." and she hugged me. "Pero bakit ganon? Ang sakit-sakit?" at humagulhol siya nang iyak.