Chapter 5: I'm Sorry

Scissors and sticks, we play. Aren't they always meant to hurt this way?

Nadine's POV

Sunday. It's nine in the evening and I cannot shrug off my head what has happened yesterday.

I saw him again for the first time after a year.

After a year.

I should have moved on. A year is more than enough, I thought to myself.

*Phone rings*

Caller: Unknown

"Hello?" I asked out of curiosity. This must be either important or a prank call.

"Nadine, we need to talk" a familiar voice said. He sounded as if pleading. My heavy heart sank to the sound of his voice.

Here I go again.

But despite how I felt, something masked how I should have responded. I only let out a sigh before cutting the call off.

*Phone rings*

"What do you want?" I asked bluntly. It was pain and bitterness that has grown my heart colder day by day for the whole year.

"Baby, please..." I heard him sob. But all I thought was how he had played and bet on with his friends.

I just did not feel cheated. I felt dumped and stepped on.

"Stop wasting my time." I calmly said. "And please, don't act as if you were the one who was lied to."

It maybe was too much, tears were gently trickling down my cheeks as I finished the sentence.

"I'm at your gate. Let me explain." he said as his sobs were more audible.

"A year has passed by for your explanation to actually mean something." then I cut the call and turned my phone off.

Calm down, Nadine. You are fine. you have been fine for a year now, I thought. But I wish I really am fine.

Because his voice made it sound so convincing that he is for real. And it hurts to believe him all over again, knowing I'll sooner or later pick up the torn pieces of my heart all by myself. Just like before.

I heard knocking on my door. Quickly, I wiped my cheeks and eyes. And put on some moisturizer, hoping I would not get caught crying again.

"Naddie, someone wants to talk to you. Come downstairs." mom said. "I have to go get Kaleb for a check up again."

"What happened to him?" and I rushed to Kaleb's room. He is having colds again, and fever spike. Times like this, he needs to be confined.

After making sure my brother's things were put in his hospital bag, I kissed Kaleb in the forehead. "Ate will come by tomorrow, okay? I will take care of you and we'll watch TV. I'll bring Jell-O and your favorite, carbonara."

He just nodded and smiled though he was not feeling well.

As much as I want to take him to the van, I needed to not see him. Good thing, mom understands me.I want to just lock the door and lay on my bed. I am worried about Kaleb and because I don't think I've earned enough courage to face James, again.

But I have to do this. I have to show him that a conversation is not much of a deal for me.

I saw him. That man whose face can trigger a lot of emotion. He is still as handsome as I could remember. Only right now, his body built has been enhanced -- his shoulders were broad and looked strong, his arms were firm, and his belly was just as contoured as I've remembered it to be.

He sat comfortably at the sofa. But his eyes were not as lively as they once were. There was sadness and pain that I can see through it.

"Good evening, Nadine." he uttered in the most formal tone he could. His eyes gaze at me, I feel my knees weaken.

James POV

I've been dying to see her again. But it has been over a year that her parents asked me not to. So she can let time heal her wounds, so she can offer a space of forgiveness in her heart.

But that time made her change, and it seems that she did not just moved on...she has left her emotions along.

She came towards me, without blinking. Without emotion painted in her face. Not even through her beautiful, hazel eyes.

The girl that is standing right in front of me is incredibly beautiful. But the way she looks at me gave me the creeps. Like a mannequin.

"Good evening, Nadine." I almost feel my voice crack. However, I tried to act fine as I could. Even at her coldness, I still can't help myself from staring at her in amusement.

God, she's amusing.

She is wearing a cream tank top and a blue denim high-waist shorts. Her hair is just flowing from where she placed her curls in a messy way. She looks gorgeous, and hot.

"Yeah. What are you doing here, by the way?" with her brows furrowed and disgust etched in her beautiful face.

"I came to talk. Tinawagan naman kita, di ba?" I said with sincerity.

But instead, she raised an eyebrow, "Wala tayong pag-uusapan." and turned the television on to distract herself.

After a while, she said, "Umuwi ka na. It's almost ten. I am sleepy." then she turned off the TV.

Just as she tried to walk past me, I held her hand.

"Ano ba?" she asked in a creepy way. Her statement should come with anger, but all I see in her eyes is nothing but a blunt stare.

I did not loosen my grip on her hand. Instead I stood up and held her waist with the other hand. She struggled....then in less than a minute, she stopped.

"I have always wanted us this close." I said as we both breathed heavily. "So close that I can smell your breath...like this." and I touched her nape down to the base of her neck. It was not enough, the longing was not enough.

I gently kissed her cheeks, she closed her eyes. It felt so right, that my lips were searching for hers.

"I love you, baby." I said before I slowly kissed her on her lips. We moved in a slow and gentle manner, I felt too much love and passion with it.

She pulled herself from me, and plainly said, "I don't want to see you anymore. Stop messing with me again."

She ran upstairs, to her bedroom. I ran to follow her.

She locked the door as I tried to open it. I know I am not winning the fight, so I knocked.

"Go away." she said as I tried to plead her to open the door.

"Please, let me in. Gusto ko'ng sabihin sa iyo na..." just as I was about to finish my statement, she opened the door.

"Sabihin mo na kung ano man 'yan. At umalis ka na." she said without looking at me.

I know I had to say it.

"Mahal kita. Mahal na mahal..." I said, trying my best not to tremble. I cannot go near her even if I want to. She is no longer that girl. "I know I am a jerk, that I've hurt you. But God knows I did not want to. I'm sorry, Nadine." then tears went out from my eyes.

-----------
Hi, loveys. Thanks for the time you have spent reading this somehow true-to-life story I've made for a friend.

Let me know what you think of this. :) will appreciate your comments :)