Chapter 20: Die Just a Little

James' POV

My heart was almost crushed with what happened next. She sang another song by Side A.

"But baby, for tonight I think I'll die just a little,
Cry some more...
Tryin' to remember how it was before.
Let me die just a little,
I'll be fine, as soon as I can get you off my mind..."

Anya even felt sorry for her. My brother and Yuan were concerned of what Anya has told them. I wanted to run and hug Nadine. Tell her how sorry I am for not being honest about the bet.

"Give me one more day, I need to die just a little,
Cry some more...
Tryin' to remember how it was before.
Let me die just a little,
I'll be fine, as soon as I can get you off my mind.."

Tears almost fell from her eyes as she was singing.

"I'm not sure how this will go,
But loving you is all I know...
Maybe there's a chance to find a way to love again.
But maybe until then....
Maybe until then....
Maybe until then....
die just a little,
Cry some more...
Tryin' to remember how it was before.
Let me die just a little,
I'll be fine, as soon as I can get you off my mind.."

I can't help myself from keeping my distance. So I ran towards her and hugged her tightly, saying, "I'm sorry I had to keep it from you.. hear me out. Billie threatened me. I had to be around Alexi for a week or else his gang will do something to you. Know that I'll do everything to keep you safe. And I want to tell you how much I've remembered your special day." I handed her a box. In it was a necklace with her name carved on a white gold plate.

But she laughed sarcastically, "Sorry because you were caught?" her eyes were flared with pain and anger in between. "But if I haven't seen you with her, you would still live a day and lie in front of my face and act like everything is damned all right! Safe? From whom? Billie and his gang?" she paused for a while and laughed even more. "His parents work for my grandfather! So know this, I dont need you to save me because I need no saving. All I need is lumayo sa iyo at gawin ang lahat para malimutan ang ginawa mo which I happen to have seen with my own eyes." she grabbed my hand and placed the box on my palm, and said, "I never needed gifts. I needed your honesty because I trusted you. I fell for you, as hard and as deep as hell. But you wasted everything. You should have known better than fooling around and thinking I would not find out. At ano 'yon? SA'YO LANG AKO?! F*cking promise!"

She got back to where she was seated, and shouted, "A very happy birthday to me. Let's all drink to that!" and grabbed the bottle of bourbon and gulped it like there is no tomorrow.

Tears were making my eyes see things in a blur. But I kept my grip on. It's still 4 in the afternoon. Yuan approached me to comfort me.

"Bro, akala ko ba hindi mo pinatulan yung pinagsasabi ni Billie?" he started to speak, "Hindi man kami close ni Nadine pero hanga ako sa kanya. I thought you were the luckiest to have her. Now, you've let her slip away just like that." then he left to join the rest of their company.

"Pasensyahan mo na, James. Mahal ka lang talaga siguro ni Nadine kaya nasasaktan siya ngayon. We've been classmates since the first year in high school. Wala pa akong nakitang lalaking naging close sa kanya like how you were to her." Anya said that with sincerity.

That's when I knew I really screwed things up. I don't even know how to make it up to her.
But I can drive her out of this town. Maybe she'll hear me out.

"Manong, can I take her out of here? We really need to talk." I asked for his permission.

"Ahh sige po. Sasabihan ko na lang sina Sir Alex pag-uwi. Parang hindi na ata kaya ni Ma'am Nadine ang kanyang iniinom." he said as he was about to leave.