Chapter 4: Caught Me Offguard

James POV

When I saw her earlier, there was happiness and sadness of equal measure. The girl who has taken my heart away by the second she smiles, now sees me as someone who is better off dead.

"Tol, nakita ko si Naddie." Miggy broke the silence in the room.

Yuan and Jacko looked at me, as if waiting for an answer.

I could hardly find the words to respond.

"Lalo siyang gumanda. Hindi na yung reserved type na Nadine. She is perfect." and he cannot help himself but say it with admiration. He adds, "Okay naman siguro if I court her? I mean, bet lang naman yung sa inyo na ligawan mo siya noon, dba? It has been a year naman na hindi ka niya nakikita.."

I can hardly move with the statement. Guilt has filled me from the inside. It was my fault.

"Yeah... I-I mean, no." I stuttered in confusion, my hands were shaking in disbelief. What have I done?

I was supposed to protect her. I had to do it so Billie won't hit on her, instead.

"Tol, ano na naman yan? You seem not fine everytime we talk about her. C'mon dude, you have been in hiding from her all these times. Akala ko wala na siya sa'yo," he observes as I hardly know what to say whenever someone mentions her name. "Get over it. Diba, wala ka namang feelings na sa kanya?" he asks for an assurance.

"I loved her." my eyes became red as tears were almost ready to fall. "I just can't tell her. Pero the time Billie made a bet in exchange for Nadine's safety, I knew I had to do it." I cannot contain the truth anymore. Someone has to know how I felt.

"Bro, you just did what you had to," Jacko comforted me. "Hindi ka nga lang naging honest kay Nadine."

Before everything was a total wreck, beautiful things started to happen when I transferred to Darrington University in third year high school.

I met her before she knew it. Monday morning, I was in the hallway when I saw her got off a black car.

Rich men's daughters will always get off from a car with their heads up. Such a cliché. If only there is a girl that is differentp from them all.

I just shook my head. Because, apart from sounding crazy, I am certain that girls from this school are hell rich. Drowned with the thought, a girl passed by. She smelled great, and from the looks of it, she is hot. But I bet her image is fit for a goody two shoes. Her hair was neatly tucked in a hair net with a ribbon over it, with bangs that covered her forehead, and those glasses just says it all -- nerd.

"Tol, you are caught staring at the daughter of our VP in the university and one of the excellent teachers here. Maganda siya, pero walang may balak lumapit diyan." one of the gang blurted out as I was smoking before going to class.

"Loko. Tinitingnan naman natin halos lahat ng bumababa sa may gate, ah. And I'm not into girls like her. Yung pa-nerd or pa-socialite yung get up. And more often, genius lang tingnan yung get up ng mga katulad nila, but their grades do not justify their bearing." I said with sarcasm. In fact, I am only trying to present the bitter truth.

"Tol, ibahin mo yan c Nadine. She is smart and intelligent. Walang gusto dumiskarte dyan, kasi we feel insecure dahil alam ng lahat on how she is the daughter of the VP, and at the same time, top of the class." Ram said with whole admiration.

So what's in it for me? Nothing. I just took of without saying a word. That girl, she had this gang admire her? What's so good about her?

"Relax. It is just a girl. You won't see nor meet her." I calm myself in assurance.

I entered the room with a lot of them hot girls smiling towards my direction. And the boys were just as eager to have me in their group.But one girl captured my attention.
She is sitting in the middle isle of the chairs. She did not talk to anyone, got her earphones on and like she is reading a book. Then I suppose we Chem together.

"This shit's gone real." I whispered to myself before I sat down to a chair right at her back.

We were on the same laboratory team. She was the leader. I can't help myself but admire her. She is too smart for an average guy.

"Hello. I suppose we should properly orient ourselves with each other. I am Nadine Alexis Lustre, a junior and I will be leading the group. Let us be friends." there she goes. She stands 5' feet tall...or cute? Her frame is petite, but her body is well-sculpted. This girl does not wear makeup, but she is simply beautiful.

"What the heck am I thinking?!" I scolded myself.

She went on the orientation stage, saying, "Now, we will have to acquaint ourselves with each other. Have fun." and she finished it off with a smile.

Jeez, her smile is just as beautiful as she is.

My mind was elsewhere, while my eyes were pinned on her direction when she stared at me and called my attention, "Mr. Exhange Student? Hey? Are you in our group? Perhaps you should get along with the rest of us first before you daydream on whatever. Can you kindly do that?" she said firmly as she tried to focus her glance at me. I blushed and I just nodded.

This is hell. Did I just get embarrassed by this girl? Did I just get called an exchange student?

Ofcourse, she did. Because I was clearly caught offguard while I was analyzing her, made an impression of her, and admired her. Am I that obvious?

Yes, I certainly am.

So I walked towards her and apologized. "Uh...hi?" that was all that came out from me. I was nervous, stunned, and seems like confidence has just left me unarmed. She looked at me in amusement. I felt terribly stupid. So I told her what I came for, "Sorry kanina. I got out of focus. Uhmm..Robert James Reid...but you can call me James. And, you are?" I extend my hand and smirked at her. "By the way, hindi ako exchanged student."

Lalo siyang maganda sa malapitan.

It took her a while before she shook my hand, saying, "Ganun ba? Akala ko kasi, eh." she chuckled. "Oh, Nadine Alexis Lustre. Call me Nadine. And, okay lang yun." she exclaimed as she smiled. Her smile was very captivating that I could not help but look at her, amazed.

It became one of the best days in my life. And another best story in life to be told.