Chapter 18: Truly, Madly, Deeply

Nadine's POV

After the night he confessed about how he felt about me, the next days that passed by were a blur.

Hindi ko siya makita sa school. Almost a week na siyang absent sa classes.

I cannot even talk to him on the phone.

He is dodging my calls. Just like he did for a couple of days.

I SWEAR TO GOD I WILL CUT HIS THROAT OPEN KUNG GOOD TIME LANG YUN.

Weh? Kaya mo kaya na hindi masiraan nang bait kung gawin mo 'yan?
I WAS JUST PISSED, NOT BALLISTIC.

"Where the hell is he?" as I texted him about the second time this morning.

To: James

If you were tripping on me the night when you almost drowned yourself in liquor, patay ka sa'kin.

My eyes were teary. My heart is filled with fear...of the unknown.

But that was not even close to the truth. I was afraid he was not himself, that he did not mean what he said to me.

That is just not fair. I had to go for the cliff without even having restraints or something that could possibly pull me back into shape!

Then my phone beeped. I have received a message.

From: James

I'm sorry, baby. I'll make it up to you. That night, everything I said was real.
Stop by the park, same place. Don't bring your car. I love you.

My heart wants to pop out at the sight of his message.

Oh? Masaya ka na, teng? Kung maka-react kasi, parang iniwanan lang na buntis?
MAGTIGIL KA. PMS TAWAG DON, HINDI PAGBUBUNTIS.

The same message I read over and over throughout the day. But what the hell?

Why is he not attending classes?

To: James

You are not sick, I would know. why aren't you attending classes?

From: James

Had to do something important. But I'll get back before you'll know it. :)

I have no choice but to let the issue go. Kaysa naman mag-away pa kami.

Later that day, I went to the park as planned. The same spot we use to spend our daily afternoon chill.
He was not there. Not even a hint of him.

But there was something on the lawn.

There was a blanket and a life-sized teddy bear with a card and a pink balloon. On its left foot lies a bouquet of 3 pink tulips with white peonies around it.

To whoever it is for, she is one lucky girl...kahit parang ang corny naman. Jesus, hindi naman sana.

My phone rang.

"Hi, baby..." its James. His voice felt like music to my ears. "Where are you now?"

"Park. As agreed?" it was rather a question. And there was something I felt that time...that maybe he is not coming.

He breathed heavily from the other line. "I'm sorry... I can't come there."

Everything went as blurry as ever. I began to feel like crying. Just when I thought I'd see him, he is not even really coming.

"That's fine. I'll just head home." I said as my tears almost fell.

Then I felt someone just hugged me from behind. He started whispering to my ears, "You think I won't be coming, didn't you?"