Chapter 16: The Bet

James POV

Last day of interschool basketball tournament. Every move should be carried out as plan. There's no turning back, we have to win the championship.

The effort we exert as a team fell into its proper place. We did great and that's all that took for us to win. Everyone was happy, we had to stop by a bar after dinner.

When suddenly, Nadine was with a friend. I have never seen that girl before.

I called her by the phone, "Sino yang kasama mo?"

Before she answered my question, she took time to gaze her eyes at the whole street. Then she got me looking at her.

"Kaibigan ko. Congrats pala sa laro nyo. Muntik na akong maubusan ng boses sa kakahiyaw." then she waved her hand.

"Uy, pare. Yung bestfriend mong si Nadine ba yun?" Billie started. I don't know what he's got in mind. "She is one hell of a girl. Akin na yun, tol, ha?"

I ended the call I have with Nadine, "Pupuntahan kita sa inyo, later. Be safe."

Mabubugbog muna kita bago mo pag-tripan si Nadine, I thought to myself.

"Uy tol?" Billie said impatiently.

I furrowed my eyebrows, "Nobody plays tricks on her nor touches her, got it?"

But Billie threatened me. And by the tone of it, he means it.

"Pare, Nadine is such a perfect girlfriend material. Gusto ko lang naman tumikim sa kanya, if you don't mind. Or atleast, isa man lang sa team natin, mka-score sa kanya." he said with the most annoying voice he could make.

"What? Billie naman, bestfriend siya ni James." Yuan sympathized with me.

But Billie is such a stubborn person. What he wants, he should get.

"Bakit hindi yung ibang babae na lang yung pustahan ninyo?! Kahit sino, wag lang si Nadine." my fists were starting to get firm, ready for a throttle about to happen.

"Kung hindi, ganito na lang... James, ligawan mo si Nadine. Dahil kung hindi, hindi mo magugustuhan ang gagawin ko sa kanya." and he chuckled.

Then by the moment he saw the girl who was with Nadine, plans seem to change. I felt the relief, but it was not for long until...

"Oh, James...I have a better idea. Why don't you hit on Lexi? Yang kasama ni Nadine. Galing din yan ng Australia." he suggested with a grin on his face.

So that is Lexi. Nadine told me things about her. That she was her only childhood friend; and that, while Nadine's second name is Alexis, hers is Alexi.

And that she gave way with the first guy she ever liked because Lexi likes him.

"And why should I fuckin' do that?" I raised my voice.

He just laughed. "I know by the looks of it na mahal mo si Nadine. Kaya ganito ang mangyayari: liligawan mo si Lexi. Nadine will be safe from all of these. But, if you fail to do that, liligawan ko si Nadine. Kung hindi ko siya mapasagot, something will happen to her. I don't play tricks, pare. I do what I say I will do." and then, he took off just like that. No kidding. Nothing.

But I know he is talking business.

That would have been fine if it was not me he wants to do the bet with Nadine's childhood friend.

I just cannot. I don't want to hurt her in any way. But I don't want to lose her.

A/N: OTWOL has came to its finale already. Such a bittersweet separation for my fellow OTWOListas... that may include you. :)

I do hope you would bear with me. kahit puro good vibes yung gusto ko, ganun talaga ang relasyon. mayrong gusot, away, at di mapagkakaunawaan...& that is just the beginning of a strong and beautiful story. TRUST ME :)

JaDine's love story is one for the books, along the alley of books to where my bestfriend's and her husband's love story can be found. and yes, you are reading it. :)