Chapter 9: I Like You

Nadine's POV

He seemed tense. The silence in the car was deafening. I saw his fingers drumming his bag as if someone is trying to kill him.

I've been always avoided by boys in the institution. What the hell is wrong with them?

So I broke off the silence, "In case you've heard something about me, I want to let you know it's complicated."

"W-why are you telling me this? And why is it complicated?" the sound of his voice was even shaking.

I held his hand, and looked at him in the eye, "I am just one of the grandchildren of the major stockholder of our school. One of the many, and not the only one. Others are also having themselves comfortable in the institution without being noticed. Not to mention that you are the son of one of my grandpa's partners."

He's stuck frozen in his seat, shocked with what I've said. "I know, we all keep a low profile. Except that, students are getting curious as rumors spread over a day." I breathed as I continued, "And I only shoot target boards, I don't shoot people."

Right then, his face turned backed to its pinkish color. He was pale, very pale, a minute ago. Like blood was dripped off from his arteries at once.

"You are safe with me." I assured him. For the first time, there is this one guy I'm telling these things without having second thoughts.

He turned to look at me, and gaze at me in amusement. "Where are we going, then? It's already six in the evening... your parents might be waiting for you."

"Alam nila..." that's all it took before he drew himself towards me.
.
.
.
And took my eyeglasses off my face.

What now?

"There, lalo kang gumaganda without eyeglasses." and smiled. His smile, it made my heart skipped a beat.

I raised an eyebrow, "Hoy, bakit mo kinuha 'yon? Kung hindi ako makakita nang malinaw, aber?"

He grinned, "Pero nakakakita ka naman. Last night, as you were placing your books and read through the pages, hindi mo suot yan." and pointed at my eyeglasses.

Loko'ng ito. Binuking pa ako.

"So? Problems related with the eye itself has many categories." I said in defense.

"Like? uhm.. no, let me guess. If I am not mistaken, ginagawa mo yan para ma-turn off ang guys sa'yo." he is right. He is so damn right.

I glared at him and said, "It's none of your business." and stuck my tongue out.

He giggled. "Yes it is. If I court you, you should look good for me."

James' POV

Something out of hand just slipped out my mouth. And now, I am blushing, my face is almost as red as a tomato.

"Ano?! Ano'ng I have to look good yang sinasabi mo? Ganon ba kayo sa planeta nyo?" she almost smacked my head.

I cleared my throat and said, "I am no alien. At isa pa, Aussie ako... hindi American. Mabuti pa yung mga classmates mo, kilala kung ano ako." and chuckled.

She seems irritated. I can't help but smile. I can really piss her off just like that.

"Hoy, hindi ako interesado sa'yo. Kaya wag mo akong isali sa mga ka-ungguyan ng mga kaklase ko. Gwapong-gwapo ka sa sarili, kuya?" she rolled her eyes.

Her driver interrupted as we were arguing, "Ma'am, baba na ho kayo. Ipapasok ko lang to sa parking lot. Mainit po doon."

"Sige po, Manong. Pero, hihintayin ka namin sa loob. Sama ka na sa amin." the way she talked to him is priceless. She cares even for their driver.

Manong Lino was a bit shy, that he had to slightly scratch his nape before saying, "Wag na ho. Nakakahiya naman po sa kasama nyo."

She smiled, "Manong, it's Friday. Treat ko po. Nang may maipasalubong naman po kayo sa pamilya nyo pag-uwi."

"Oo nga, po." I agreed to her invitation.

"Ha? Eh.. O sya, sige po. Ipa-park ko lang ho itong sasakyan." he left off with a smile.

She is really one of a kind. Such a kind girl.

"So this is where we are going?" I asked.

We had dinner at the food court. I cannot even believe how this girl eats.

"Do you really eat that much?" I was smiling even in disbelief.

She turned to look at me and nodded, "Yeah. Pero hindi ako tumataba. Ang saklap, ano?" then she giggled.

Her laughter was so genuine and I cannot help myself but smile.

Then she might have tapped me by my shoulder, saying, "Sama ka? I still have to buy materials and some things para sa nursery ng kapatid ko."

I was a bit confused, "Huh? Bakit ikaw? Why can't your mom do that?"

Her expression became sad. Like I've said something wrong.

"I'm sorry. Hindi ko---" before I finished speaking, she interrupted.

"My mom quit her career. She had to. Delikado raw yung pagbubuntis nya. it's still 5 months pero marami na ang complications with her pregnancy." her face, it looked sad. I felt the weight of her sadness.

If only I could hug her, I would have.

"Pero wala yun..." she gave me a smile to make me see that she is fine. "We are here to lighten the load she carries, di namin siya papabayaan. And dahil magiging ate na ako I'll make Kaleb a nursery...all out of love." her eyes were even sparkling as she exclaimed.

I chuckled, "Let's go?" I offered my hand to her, and she just stared at it in confusion.

She just stood there frozen. I grabbed her hand and we slowly walked. I led her near the theater. People looked at us, like we were a big hit.

Like a real couple. She did not say even a word.

I tried to make her smile, but she just ignored my effort. Girls were eyeing on us, and so were guys nearby.

Just before I realized it, I was hugging her. I got carried away in an ecstatic feeling.

I like you, Nadine. I like you now more than ever.

Nadine's POV

I don't exactly know why I am frozen to where I am standing right after he offered his hand. But James did not left me hanging, he grabbed my hand. And slowly, we walked past people who seem frankly amused with us.

We stopped near the IMAX theater. He noticed how I have been silent, so he made an effort to make me smile.

But I just stood silent. With people staring at us were beginning to intimidate me.

He gently came near me, hugged me tight and whispered, "I'm right here...You are safe with me."

That's what all it took before my feelings started floating right off.

I like you, James...