Chapter 17: The Fall

James' POV

It's past ten o'clock. But I've drunk a little bit more than enough. Light-headed and my thoughts are hazy, I drove myself to the Lustre's.

I called her on the phone. "Hi, Nadine. Sorry I was not able to keep up SMS-ing..." my voice might have been groggy.

"James. I think it's late and you have to sleep, too." she sounded sleepy. But after several minutes of awkward silence in her line, she spoke, "Lasing ka na naman?"

"I'm by the gate. Your place." I was straightforward. I wanted to be with her. Even for this time only.

"A-ano? Nahihibang ka na ba? Disoras na nang gabi." she was almost angry. I notice her vpice was shaking...or it may be excitement I feel in the way she delivers them.

"Open up." I insisted.

Not for long, she went out and opened the gate.

"Anong gusto mo?" her eyes were not even close to being excited. But rather, puzzled. "Nakainom ka ata o lasing ka na naman...teka, you didn't even answer my question by the phone."

She smelled the alcohol on my breath that's been coming out from my mouth.

"H-hindi ako lasing...medyo, tipsy lang." then I may have passed out from my consciousness.

The next thing I know is I am in a room. It's Nadine's room. She was there by the table, busy doing something I don't know.

She handed me a tablet and a lemon juice. "Inumin mo 'yan. Para mawala naman yang ka-praningan mo."

"Bakit tayo nandito at hindi sa sala?" I asked.

"Ini-refer to other pedia si Kaleb. Si papa naman, andun sa Iloilo. Pumunta ako doon sa hospital kanina kasama si Lexi, but I had to come home kasi umuwi sa probinsiya si Manang." she said while fixing herself. She only wore a pajama and a sleeveless that exposed the curves I may have think were hidden for a long time. "Parang improper naman kung papabayaan kita sa sala at pumasok ako dito sa kwarto, di ba?" her face is just so alluring.

I smiled at her. Then I walked towards her back and hugged her, "Nadine? Do you love me?"

"H-huh? Ofcourse, I do." she almost panicked. "J-James, ano ba? You're scaring me."

My heart was almost gonna pop out from my chest. "Really? Hindi platonic lang?" then I hugged her tight.

"Hoy, ano bang nangyari sa'yo? Ba't para kang sinapian, ha?" she is puzzled. But she did not resist.

I turned her by her shoulders to face me. "I'm asking you again, do you love me?"

Nadine's POV

Teka lang.
Moment of truth na ba ito?
Dios mio, gabayan Niyo po ako.

Breathe in...
Breathe out...

"I'm asking you again, do you love me?" his eyes were pleading as he asked me.

Para akong nabuhusan ng malamig na tubig. I was not myself for a moment, "Oo.." trying hard to look away. My heart was beating hard, and it skipped beats faster.

Before I could look away, he held my chin and his face slowly moved towards mine. "I love you, Nadine. Only you." then he kissed me, so slow it almost made me cry as those words warmed my heart and soul.

Wala na,eh.
Pwede ko ba siyang itulak?
NO.

Eh, sampalin?
ANG GWAPO NIYA PARA SAMPALIN. AT NANGINGINIG PA YUNG KAMAY MO.

Tuhod, kamusta ka na?
HETO, MALAPIT NANG BUMIGAY.

Hair, humaba ka ba?
AY, OO. MAS MAHABA PA SA BUHOK NI SARAH G. NG SUNSILK!

I then realized na kanina pa ako naka-nganga. Nakakahiya.

"Mahal din kita, James. Ikaw lang." and I smiled at him before he kissed my temple.

That was the happiest moment in our several years of staying as friends. Because right now, for sure, I am ready for the fall.

"Now, you are mine, Nadine. Nobody else can have you." he started speaking. His eyes, mesmerizing mine as always.

God, am I not imagining things?

"You can't be around other guys. Bawal magpaligaw, bawal makipag-usap sa ibang lalaki. Lalo na kay Billie Almonte." the last sentence confused me.

I asked, "Bakit naman?"

"Basta. I don't want you to get caught in the middle of this, Nadine." then he gently pulled me by the arm and hugged me. "I just can't believe this. Kahapon, best friend lang kita. And now, you are mine. I love you, baby. I always have."

I can't help myself, "Grabe ka, di ako maubusan ng kilig dito, ha. Pero sige na nga, I love you more."