Chapter 13

"Where you going?" Jarrod asked me as I applied my red MAC lipstick in my vanity mirror.

"To the outlet mall..." I lied.

Jarrod threw a stack of money at me and went on the balcony to smoke. I looked at my clock. It was 1:30. I rolled my eyes put the money in my purse and headed out. 

"You're early." Tyrone said smiling at me.

"Yeah...I know..."

"Come in." He gestured to me to come into his house.

"You look nice." I said looking at Tyrone's ensemble. He wore a white V neck, a brown beanie, and a brown leather jacket with some jeans. 

"Thanks, I just got back from seeing my daughter in the ATL." He said. "I took her shopping."

"Well thats nice, Tyrone."

"Yeah." He laughed to himself.

We walked to his family room and sat down on the couch. 

"So whats the deal with you and Jarrod, Tyrone?" I asked him cutting to the chase.

Tyrone took a deep sigh and rubbed his face.

"It's like this...Jarrod and I used to live in the same neighborhood when we were younger. Jarrod, Tremaine and I got caught up in the fast life...Tremaine is my younger brother...Jarrod and Tremaine were good friends....I never want to relive my past. It's over and done with."

"You mean, drug dealing?"

"Yes..." Tyrone said shamefully.

I felt disappointed. In my eyes Tyrone was perfect. But I wasn't going to judge him.

"Tremaine got into the dealing game before I did and I saw how much money he was brining in and how happy he was, and I wanted to be apart of it...Even though our family had money...we wanted more...greed too over us...It's really a long story China." Jarrod walked over to the bar and grabbed us a can of soda and some mixed nuts.

"I've got all day Tyrone." I said sitting back in the love chair.

"All you youngins in here for one reason, money. Money means ho's, ho's means happiness, happiness means success."  King said to a group of young boys ranging from 13-25 years old.

"Thats my dad." Kingston Junior said to Tyrone, Tremaine and Jarrod.

Kingston stood about 6'4, big and buff. He was built like a football player. Ultra dark skin, and neck length dread locks. Kingston Junior was about 25 at the time.

"I'm Kingston Junior." He said giving Tremaine, Tyrone and Jarrod dap.

"I'm Jarrod."

"Tremaine."

"I'm Tyrone."

"Yall look like some bourgeoisie ass niggas. What yall doin here?" Kingston asked them and laughed.

"Tryna make some extra money." Jarrod said unsure of his being there.

"Now...If you want to be a bad ass drug dealer you need to learn the rules..." King said. "Be discrete at all times. Never let anybody know that you're dealing. Keep your mouth shut! and Loyalty...need I say more. We don't need no snitch asses around here. Snitches get stiches, ya heard? Or worse..." King pulled out his gun and licked it.

Jarrod and Tremaine looked at each other, and back at King.

Jarrod, Tremaine, and Tyrone started dealing drugs that day. They made about 2,500$ each. They were addicted to the rush they got when they saw police. They were addicted to the quick cash. They were addicted to the fast life.  For Tyrone and Tremaine the drug dealing went on for about 5 years. For Jarrod...it never ended.

The boys met back at "The Shack" where all the drug business was handled.

"Tyrone...Come here let me holla at-cha boy." King said.

Tyrone walked over to him with fear in his eyes. Tremaine and Jarrod followed him.

"Calm down boy. Man up! I can't have no punk asses working for me!" King chucked Tyrone's face up.

"You one of my best dealers in the game right now Tyrone. I need you to handle some business in Louisiana for me. King Junior runs a shack out there and I need you to handle some business out there for me."

Jarrod got angry. He hated when someone did better than him. He loved competition but he always wanted to be at the top.

Jarrod left the room and walked outside of the shack. 

A week later Tyrone went on to proceed with the 'business' he needed to handle in Louisiana.

King ended up getting rid of Jarrod because he wasn't making progress like Tremaine and Tyrone, and he had been accused of stealing from him. That's when Jarrod used what he learned from King and his street smarts to make himself the most powerful drug dealer down south. 

Jarrod asked Tyrone and Tremaine to join his team, but they both feared King so they didn't. They knew they would end up dead if they did. Jarrod felt betrayed and did what ever he could to make them pay. He set them up and sabotaged both of them. He even made it seem like they were stealing from King. They beefed for many years until Tremaine and Tyrone all went their separate ways. 

A drug bust ended it for King and his workers. King was sentenced to a life term in prison for countless crimes..murders, possession of drugs, unauthorized weapons, the list goes on. Tremaine ended up going down with him. He was sentenced 5 years. He got so far in the game that he came second after Tyrone. He was Kings second favorite and he counted on Tremaine to be his right hand man while Tyrone was out in Louisiana handling business with King Junior.

Mean while,Jarrod was making a name for himself. King was after him for many years for what he did. It was his fault King was sentenced to a life time in prision. He broke the two rules of the game, discresion and loyalty. He didn't care. He just wanted to be on top. Tyrone ended up getting out of the game when he found out that he had a son on the way.

King ended up killing himself in prison. King Junior inherited his father Kings throne. After Tremaine's 5 year sentence he moved to London and started a new family and a new life. King junior...now King, was after Jarrod, But little did he know, Jarrod would win that battle.

I sat there in disbelief. I could not believe my ears. I could not believe that this perfect man was an ex-drug dealer. I couldn't believe that he was dealing with Jarrod. I can't believe they knew each other. Tears formed in my eyes. I didn't know why, but I couldn't control them. 

"I'm sorry China...I really am..I hope you don't think less of me..and I hope this doesn't mess up our friendship." Tyrone said as he held my hands.

"This doesn't change anything Tyrone. That is your past. Jarrod is still stuck in the past. He's still dealing and looking for respect. It's ruining our relationship. I don't know how much more of this life I can take...How does this sound..."I am the drug lords wife." 

Tyrone just listened to me.

"No wonder he went to Louisiana...I think the dispute between "King" and him...is over..." I covered my mouth and tears poured out of my eyes. I couldn't bare the thought of Jarrod killing anybody. I had a flashback of the night Jarrod came back from Louisiana drenched in blood and shot up. This was becoming too real and I couldn't take it anymore.

Tyrone wrapped his arms around me and comforted me. He kept whispering how sorry he was to me. I ened up leaving his house around 7:30pm. My head hurted and I needed to rest before I faced Jarrod again.

 Jarrod and I never spoke about his past. He didn't believe in reliving the past, but he was stuck in the past with trying to keep his name as The Drug Lord of the South. It was petty. It was pathetic. It was causing me to seek love in places I never thought I would. Like he told me. "If I can't get it from you, I have to get it from somebody else...."