Episode 54 - Part 3

Episode 54 - Brisk Marshes

Part 3 - The Trial of Mind

Piper cowered in fear when she saw the fire coming at her. But then she realized it didn't hurt, so she opened her eyes and noticed she was on fire, though there was no pain.

"How is this possible?" - she was stunned.

"The green flames are harmless, they have healing and cleansing properties. I'd not set you on fire if I knew it would hurt you." - Yma told her with a knowing smile - "Well, you're clean now." - she said as the fire faded away.

Aerrow entered the room and stood beside Piper.

"Why did you do that to her and not to me?" - he asked while gesturing at her, then at himself.

"You don't have a dark energy inside you that has to be controlled." - the old woman said - "At least, not right now."

He blinked.

"What do you mean 'dark energy'?" - he didn't understand, and his question made Piper stare at the ground frowning, then cross her arms and rub her hands against them uneasily.

"Every link has a downside if it's not mastered properly. The link of the mind can make you blind, the link of the body can make you disabled, the link of the heart can corrupt you and make you evil, and the link of the soul... Its downside is the worst of all and it's still unknown." - the witchdoctor explained while Aerrow glanced at Piper worried and then back at her - "I'll help you unlock the bridge of the mind, but you'll have to seek other instructors to teach you how to master the other links." - she told them - "Your training shall begin soon. Please, dress the ritual attires."

"Ritual attires?" - Piper asked and looked at Aerrow, who just smiled sheepishly. Now that was going to be embarrassing.

~~~

Piper didn't look amused after her change of clothes. She was wearing a skirt and a top made of leaves, bracelets, and anklets made of branches and vines, a head adornment made of many different plants, including two beautiful orange flowers on one of its sides and a runic amulet. Aerrow walked to her side.

"Hey, at least you're not a guy wearing a skirt." - he told her while gesturing to himself.

At that, she looked at him and giggled. He had a point. Her outfit didn't look nearly as bad on her as his did on him.

"Well, I kinda liked the flowers." - she touched the orange blossoms on her head briefly while smiling.

"We shall begin your training now. Please, sit down here inside the temple." - Yma said as she approached them.

The two teenagers sat on the floor one beside the other in the center of the temple. They closed their eyes to focus on the meditation.

"Clear your mind from all the worries, all the duties, from any mundane sensation you might be feeling. Think of absolutely nothing." - the old woman said - "Let yourselves..."

"It'd be easier if this skirt weren't giving me an itch." - Aerrow interrupted while frowning and scratching himself, which made Piper open one of her eyes and stare at him.

"I'm starting to feel itchy too, now that you said it." - she told him as she blinked and opened her other eye, then scratched herself as well.

The witchdoctor sighed.

"Focus, you two!" - she shouted at them, making them return to their meditating positions quickly - "But let me warn you: once the process is complete, there's no way back. You two will always be able to know what the other is thinking, so you better be sure you're okay with not keeping absolutely any secrets from each other."