Episode 57 - Part 3

Episode 57 - Wasteland Wonder

Part 3 - Wishful Thinking

"You saw caves? Where?" - Aerrow asked.

Piper had told him all about what she had seen during her flight once he and the others had arrived.

"A few miles... Uh... North from here?" - she wasn't entirely sure, since she'd have to check out the northern lights to be able to figure out which direction was north, but the sun was shining too brightly in the sky, preventing the lights from being seen - "Anyways, I was thinking of going to do some recon there."

"Uh... I don't know if that's a good idea." - he rubbed the back of his head.

"Why not?" - she raised an eyebrow and shot him a questioning look, though she somehow seemed to know what was coming.

"You shouldn't be wandering on your own out there." - he said as he gestured to the vast emptiness around them - "This is an unknown place. It could be dangerous."

Yep, she had guessed correctly, as always. She crossed her arms unimpressed.

"I've done recon in uncharted areas many times before. Your point is invalid." - she replied.

"No, it's not. At least back in the Atmos we still had one vague idea of what to expect." - he told her - "But in the Far Side... We know nothing about here. Also, Night Crawlers could be following us and try to ambush you."

"You'd be able to see that thanks to our link. I'd not pretend I don't need help." - she said - "Though I can take care of myself, you know that." - she smirked a little at her own abilities.

"That's not the point!" - he retorted - "We should prevent bad things from happening, not try to mend them later!" - he explained.

"What if nothing bad happens?" - she attempted to make him see things in a more positive way.

He was making way too big a deal out of nothing, plus she hated being placed in the role of a damsel in distress, especially because she had always been such an independent person.

"And what if something does happen?" - he questioned back - "You can't know that for sure. And aren't you the one who always tells us to be prepared?"

Shouldn't she follow her own advice? She sighed.

"What do you expect me to do, then? Sit down and stare at the horizon?" - she shrugged in defeat, then moved her arm, gesturing to the line separating the sky from the ground - "I've already trained a lot with my crystals, even more than enough for a day. I can't keep doing that."

"Well... You... Uh... You could... Ah..." - he tried to come up with something, but he couldn't think of absolutely anything.

That was such a great help! For someone who tried so hard to have the final word, he didn't seem to be any help when it came down to being creative. Nice job...

"Hm, excuse me, Aerrow." - Kaya said, cutting his thoughts - "Sorry for interrupting your lovely serenade there, I'm sure it was gonna be grand." - she added with notable sarcasm in the last part, referring to his failed attempt to speak.

Piper had to press a hand to her mouth to hold her laughter, while Aerrow immediately blinked awkwardly wide-eyed and avoided direct eye contact with the navigator. He could hear Finn and Radarr snickering from a distance too, which made things even worse. What the...? He didn't... He wasn't even... Just where did she get that idea from?! And, hey! It wasn't that easy to come up with something constructive to do. At least... Not in the circumstances they were. How convenient... The Grandmaster spoke again, shifting the awkward tone of the conversation back to how it was before.