Episode 60 - Part 3

Episode 60 - The Third Degree

Part 3 - In for Questioning

Piper blinked creeped out at that mess, then the spirits suddenly started talking non-stop, usually mentioning something about how they waited so long to be able to speak to someone who was still alive and tell them some message they wanted to be delivered.

They were of all shapes and kinds, and they'd literally compete for the attention, elbowing and pushing each other to the side. Sinjin then swung a low kick that knocked the front row of ghosts down, so he could get closer to the girl and speak to her.

"Sinjin?! What's going on?!" - she asked him.

"I think this field allows any spirit to be summoned." - he said as he tried to keep the rest of the souls from coming any closer to her - "Maybe you should try to restrict part of the power of the crystal, so fewer spirits can come in the field." - he told her while being slowly pushed back to the middle of that crowd again.

"Are you sure about it? What if you disappear with them?" - she was hesitant.

"Don't worry about that, just do your thing." - he told her as he pushed himself up, above the level of the heads of the other spirits.

"Okay, I'm on it." - she rushed to the desk and messed with a few control knobs on the support of the crystal, then all of the ghosts disappeared, except for Sinjin.

"Well, now that's more like it." - he commented after things calmed down, and the navigator sighed relieved.

"Phew, you're still here. For a moment there I thought you'd be gone since I set the limit to only one spirit in the field." - she said.

"I don't think I'd be sent back to the other realm because of this. The spell binding me to the amulet and Aerrow is a lot stronger than this crystal." - he explained as he nodded to the general direction of the boy.

"I see..." - she said, then she rubbed her arm - "Hm... So... What was it you wanted to talk about?"

He waited a brief moment before answering.

"I wanna know what's going on between you, Aerrow and that man in our interrogation room. I can sense a lot of tension, and you obviously noticed Aerrow's acting different." - he replied to her - "Just... How did it come to this?"

She lowered her head, looking for a way to explain what happened, but for some reason, it felt a little harder to talk about that all of a sudden.

"I-It's a long story." - she spoke quietly.

"I don't mind that. I literally have all the time in the world." - he shrugged - "Aerrow would say pretty much nothing about it, so I thought I could learn it from you. You seemed more willing to talk."

"What did he tell you?" - she asked.

"Something about that man nearly handing over the Oracle Crystal to that Master you're after. And about preventing him from having a chance to do whatever else he did again." - he told her.

She sadly looked down.

"Well... I. J. Domiwick is a famous explorer. He used to be my idol, I looked up to him, to become as great an explorer as he was someday. But then we found out he was being sponsored by the Cyclonians." - she proceeded to tell him a summed up version of the story - "I couldn't believe he'd betrayed us all just for fame! So we made sure to find the crystal before he did. And then we met him a second time... He had put our friends, the Neck Deeps, and the whole Terra Aquanos in danger to find a way here, to the Far Side. Apparently, he succeeded. And he even managed to almost ruin our rescue plan! All because I... I... If I had just..." - she trailed off, visually shaken by the memory that still haunted her to that day.