Chapter IX

-Avery McCoy's P.O.V-

It has been a week already since Devan decided to work here in library. He was coming in to work every day, right on time, always ready to help, I was honestly impressed with how much effort he put into this knowing that he never ever even stepped in to the library before.

It wouldn't have been half bad, if not the bullying I felt from him every single day. The pressure was building up second by second, I was glad Colby was there to support me, but I couldn't rely on my brother to always fight for me instead of just standing up for myself. However Devan being so close was crushing me like a rockslide.

"You look pail, what a book worm."

That's what I heard on Monday. There wasn't a day that would pass without a sarcastic comment or mean phrase thrown towards me. Devan didn't seem to care that Colby was always ready to knockout him if he insults me.

At first I wanted to cry, when I tried to ignore him, but in the end I would still end up where I started. Staring at his dreamy eyes. Wait, did I just say dreamy?

"I bet you couldn't climb that tree like you used to do."

The teasing reached me on Tuesday. I made a mistake and looked up to see what tree he was talking about. Devan was standing in front of the window looking at the trees around the parking lot. My heart lunged. I wanted to forget the time we used to spend together, but it seemed like he had put a goal to himself to make me remember it forever.

"Those long curls isn't going to make you any more girly."

My patience was running out as he said that next day. I looked down to the keyboard on which, just moments ago, I was typing. Few letters were especially washed off from hitting the key too many times. It was I and U, I wanted to laugh in to the face of this cheesy references.

"Are you sure you want to be working between those dusts? I mean, you're going to turn in to one of them!"

That was the last drop in to my patience cup, I couldn't handle him any longer. I knew that if Devan was going to make at least one tiniest bitter comment or even glance at me, I was going to throw up and after that attempt to beat him up even if that sounds unrealistic. The Friday came and I was already ready for the daily dose of sarcasm.

"You look pretty in that dress."

I was about to slap him when my hand stopped in the midair. I had no doubt the shock was reflecting on my face. I was really angry, every time he would open his mouth an insult came out, there was no surprise that my brains didn't recognize something nice, since it was the first time hearing it.

"What?"

I blurted out unsure. He tilted his head and shrugged his shoulders.

"You know, nice."

He turned around to walk away. I saw Colby glance at him, I was sure he thought this idiot just made fun of me again.

"Than-thanks."

I mumbled, kind of hoping he didn't hear it.

"I was just telling the truth."

He glared above his shoulder looking back at me and grinned. My face turned all red as I blushed.

"Whatever."

I chuckled to myself and came back to work. Avery, focus. I knew he wasn't someone I should get involved with. Firstly because he was my first love and that scar never healed, secondly, he was a bad boy with quite a reputation.

I didn't want to be just another girl for him. I didn't want to be with him at all. I kept on telling myself, I knew I was lying. But I did want someone, who would respect and care after me. Except... I couldn't imagine anyone else rather than Devan.

The whole world was going against me with its mighty power.

"Do I need to beat him up by any chance?"

Colby silently walked up to me from behind and scared me. I threw the folder I was holding and papers flew over the room.

"What beating up I hear talking about?"

Ross curiously questioned. He walked towards us and appeared from behind the shelves near the door. Now, he was quite a common guest here. He looked at all the papers on the floor and started quietly picking them up.

I rushed around the table and picked them up with him. Our hands didn't touch or anything when we were picking the last paper piece, come on, it's not a movie. But I could feel his eyes on me.

"I think there will be no beating up."

I assured Ross as he handed me the papers he managed to get from the floor.

"Too bad, I would have joined."

I glanced at him and he did look serious, but as soon as he saw me looking Ross grinned and just pretended he never said that. Was he serious?

"Of course you would have."

Caiden stated while patting Ross on the back with his hand. The guy turned around and greeted his friend. They started talking, but I could see how uncomfortable they felt with one another, I had no idea why, but Caiden's eyes would squirt every time Ross looked away from him.

"Hey, listen Avery."

He finally addressed me and I dared to look right in to his eyes. Strategically horrible move. His eyes sucked me right in, they were too deep and beautiful to handle. I couldn't look away.

"Yeah?"

"When's your lunch break?"

Caiden casually asked, but Ross almost immediately straightened out and turned around after hearing his words. They are so obviously intimidated by one another it was almost funny. I never really paid much attention to them before, but when I did, they never acted like that. Impossible not to notice the intensity.

"In ten minutes."

I stated checking the clock.

"Great, maybe you would like to join me?"

He flashed the sweetest smile, I swear, but I did not know a girl, who could be able to say no after that.

"Yes."

Of course, I couldn't too.

Hey reader!!!! Silent reader kills author, so please leave a comment and if you like a story vote if that's what you feel like!!! Love ya ♥♥♥

theBabelle