Chapter XVI

-Jeramiah Bate's P.O.V-

Cold. It wouldn't even scare most of the people. It was just another illness, not even a very serious one. I, on the other hand, was terrified even by the idea of the cold, or fever. She caught cold. She got the fever. It was the scariest words for me in the whole entire world.

Avery mumbled something unintentionally. She was rolling around the bed having her fever nightmares. I looked at the clock and sighted it has been only an hours since we got there, the medicine should have worked a long time ago, but she still seemed to be in agony.

Avery's hand were lying in my palm. She sometimes would press my fingers unconsciously. It reminded me of the person that caused me to be the way I was now. That person used to grab on to my hand just like Avery. Doesn't matter conscious or not, she still had the same attitude, the same vibe. I couldn't just stare at her and not cry. All the memories hit me at once.

What did that rain had? Acid in it or something? I couldn't understand how it affected her so quickly, I bet if I was walking while water drops were dripping on me for no matter how long or how strong they would hit my body, I wouldn't even wet my clothes.

Nothing in this world could have had an effect on me after THAT September. After THAT cold, after THAT fever.

"Oh come on, it's not that bad."

She pressed my hand with her fingers. It would always surprise me how much power hid under that fragile look.

"You're joking? Tell me you're joking, if you are, at least I would know you still haven't lost your sense of humor."

She shook her head and pain stroke right away. I leaned in at instant, I would have done anything, I would have taken all the pain on to myself if it only was possible, I would have agreed to suffer from all of words evil and pain, if only she didn't have to go through what she was dealing with at the moment.

"Jeramiah."

Her voice sounded too weak, she wasn't always like that, I still remembered the days when she would run up to the top of the hill faster than me, the days when she used to compete against me and win, when she used to smile. Where did all those days go?

"I'm here."

It's true, I was there with her, physically. But she needed me mentally too, however I wasn't the God or anyone at all who could have helped her.

"It's just a cold, a fever. It's nothing."

"I know, but, but you seem so...weak."

Her eyes almost fell out of their orbits. She punched me on the shoulder and I felt the glimpse of the strength she had before this illness stroke.

"Me? Weak?"

I chuckled, but after a second I was serious again. I couldn't forget the real situation as much as I wished to.

"Why did this had to happen to YOU?"

She smiled sweetly and suddenly stroke my jaw line softly like only she managed to do.

"I'm glad it's me, and not YOU."

My eyes teared up. I couldn't remember the last time I cried because I felt pain and frustration, it most definitely wasn't the happy tears. I don't know if I have ever cried before at all.

"How can you say that? If it was me, I wouldn't have to watch you suffer! I would gladly take this on to myself."

"It's just cold."

Tears were rolling down her cheeks. At the time I tried to believe her, and how could I not? The doctor's said the same thing. And it was just cold at first. But by now I knew she was lying at the moment. She was lying to protect me, she didn't want to break me. But I couldn't forgive her, I would rather knew what was going on, so I could have prepared, but I didn't.

"Does it look like cold to you?"

I laughed painfully, evilly, envying everything. This was too hopeless. Too ridiculous.

"Everyth9ing is fine."

What a basic phrase, you know nothing is fine as soon as you hear it.

"You are attached to this bed for the last three months. I know, this is definitely not just some cold."

"I guess, it's just how it goes you can't fight against fate."

She always talks about fate. I didn't believe in it until I met her. But she always had faith in fate.

"I just wish I could change places with you."

I pressed her hand harder, but she didn't respond.

"Don't you ever dare to say that again!"

"Is it bad if I don't want to see you suffer!?"

We were just yelling at one another.

"You are stronger than me, you will be able to live though this. I couldn't handle it if you were the one on this bed."

She spoke softly again.

"Princess, you will live though this."

She shook her head and chuckled.

"What's her name?"

I wake up from my slumber. I was still holding on to Avery's hand. I looked around and the same nurse had her eyes set on me, she was filling in the forms and paper pile was in her hands. Of course, I was dragged back at reality.

"Melissa-"

I wanted to punch myself for that stupidity. Come on man, get rid of those memories!

"Huh?"

Luckily she didn't quite heard it.

"Avery. Avery McCoy. That's her name."

I answered and she walked away satisfied that I was able to pull myself together and finally answered her question. I looked down and to dark eyes pierced me. Avery was wide awake.

"You're caught up in your mind."

She saw right though me. No, I had no doubt anyone would have seen that I wasn't here at the moment, but she saw that I wasn't thinking about some stupid material stuff. It's like her eyes could scan my soul.

"Yeah, something like that."

I mumbled still holding onto her hand, she pressed it and my heart skipped, it seemed so familiar.

"What are you thinking of?"

"My princess."

I admitted.

Silent readers kill the author!!!! So please leave your thoughts in the comments and vote if you like the story, I am very happy whenever I hear a feedback, so thank you for reading!!! Love ya ♥♥♥

TheBabelle