Chapter XXVII

-Alec Reye's P.O.V-

I came home and heard screams. No surprise there. Someone would always be screaming, shouting at one another, yelling or sobbing in the corner. I would just put in the cold mask on to my face and walk away to my room. I had no wish, time or strength to deal with whatever was going here in the place I called home.

But this time it was different. The scream was too familiar not to recognize. I ran in to the kitchen where the noise came from, and my childish eyes witnessed something I will never forget doesn't matter how hard I wished to.

My father was holding his arm up in the air with the leather belt in it. My mom was standing in front of him. Her face was all brushed up, but she didn't even cry. Not a single tear was visible in her face. She had few cuts ion her shoulders and her dress with flower print was cut up in few places. Her arm was bleeding and she had a black eye.

My little sister was hiding her head under her hands, she wrapper her arms around her own face and hid in the corner. My mother stood in between my father and my sibling like a real warrior, I haven't seen braver woman, a braver person in my whole entire life.

My dad shouted something at her and the belt smacked her in the face. She was trying to stand on her feet for as long as possible. She was ready to die there just so she could protect my little scared sister, who would glance at her parent from time to time and scream scared.

Her eyes were filled with tears and she had a little cut on her forehead. It probably was made before our mother stepped in. However the strong woman that I saw protecting her child wasn't able to hold there any longer.

As I saw the second smack coming in with leather belt making its way through the air I inhaled and put all of my courage in to following moves. I tried to grab my father's hand before he was able to hit my mom, but I was too slow.

That's why ever since I joined the running team and would never give up until I won. Until I beat all the records. I didn't want something like that to ever happen again. I knew if I was fast enough I could have put a stop to it, but I wasn't. So I practiced, none stop.

As I said, my hands did reach my father's arms, but it was too late, the belt has already knocked my mom down. She fell on the ground and hit her head against the floor. My sister yelled and immediately made her way to mom's body. She was still breathing I could hear her mumble something, but the blood sinking in to her mouth didn't help me to understand what was she saying.

My little sister screamed trying to get our mom to answer to her, but she didn't hear anything before I moved her out of the way as our after was about to hit her on the head with his belt.

The belt hit the floor near mom's head and I almost shouted. But I didn't. I kept my face straight and now I was the one standing between my father, my worst nightmare, and my sister, my only hope, the only person I would have sacrificed my life for.

"Leave us!"

I shouted at him. But he didn't hear me. The alcohol in his blood took over, he probably only heard some noises like when you start a car the whole time, and if he saw anything it probably was blurted out. I wouldn't have been surprised if he didn't recognize me.

"I'll take care of you... both."

His words seemed to have no meaning to him as he swung, with belt again. He used it as some sanctifying stick. I closed my eyes and put my palm in front of the head so he wouldn't knock me down, in that case, there would be no one standing in between him and my sister.

The belt hit my palm and I could feel my skin burning. The blood dripped on to the floor, but it wasn't al mine. My sister shouted something, but I couldn't understand. She was crying, sobbing and scared.

"Run!"

I commanded to her, but she shook her head refusing to leave me.

"No! Alec, he will kill you!!"

"Ada, run now!"

This time she listened to me, she wiped off her tears and took off running, I could hear how the doors closed as she ran outside. I had no idea how will I find her after, of course fi I will survive.

My father somehow managed to understand that someone just escape his lecture. He was headed towards the door ready to chaise after my little scared sister. I blocked his way with my body. His eyes widened but I don't think he saw me clearly.

"You want more?"

He asked and waved with the belt. I shook my head and as he was ready to smack me I grabbed the end of the belt even if that was horrifying painful and pulled it to myself. He was too dizzy to fight against my sudden move and the belt ended up in my hands.

He glared at his empty hand trying to figure out what the hell happened. But my father never got the blessing of understanding.

"You won't terrorize us more."

I prepared the belt, but instead of running off he grabbed the shot gun he was hiding in the back pocket and targeted me. I gasped but I was determined to do anything to put the stop to this abuse. My own father was ready to put a bullet in to my head.

I wasn't going to let him do that.

"Alec..."

Avery whispered and grabbed my hands. She was crying because of my story, but I kept my face calm.

"I punched the gun out of his hand, but he had already pulled the trigger the gun fell out of his hands and swung in the air. After a couple of seconds I saw the hole in his forehead. The blood... it was everywhere."

"No! No! No, you can't ... Alec you have to understand it's not your fault!"

She was trying to convince me, but I couldn't believe anyone's words not after so many years of guilt.

"All those years I was running not from the dark memories about my father and his shadow, I was running from myself."

I admitted tom myself. I brought Avery here, the place that showed to nobody, no less I opened my heart to her like I never did to anyone else.

"Alec, the mask you put on... I had no idea."

She sobbed, but instead of being weak she offered me her embrace and I took it I needed someone, but I was too afraid to say it out loud or just to myself.

"I never told anyone, you couldn't have possibly knew."

I shushed her, she wasn't the one to blame for the way I acted towards her. I just didn't have anyone to show me the right way. Or at least my way. I just hid everything and went with the alpha male image.

"What happened to your mother and sister?"

"They both survived, my mom was paralyzed for the rest of her life, but at least she's still alive. And my sister, she became one of the best students I knew, she's accomplishing her goals and I couldn't be more proud."

"I am sure she's proud of you too."

Avery said to me with her voice so weak, she seemed to be tired, this story was tiring I admit, even for me. I looked down at her and our eyes met. I kissed her forehead and looked away at the horizon. Avery, what have you changed in me?

Hey reader!!!! Please comment what you think about the story!!!!Your thoughts are the best thing ever for an author!!!! Love ya♥♥♥

TheBabelle