Chapter XXXXIII

-Devan Alvarez's P.O.V-

Colby rushed down the stairs and slammed the door leaving. Everyone could clearly hear it and I was certain they heard our little chat too. Alec, Jeramiah, Dorian, Tyrell, Ross was staring at me without blinking, but Caiden was just killing me with his glare.

It seemed like he wanted to shoot me or something, his eyes were read and his whole face were just screaming about the pressure he was under. I hated to see my friend like that, but did I do something to change it? No.

"Where were you man?"

Ross asked me. Everybody was waiting for an answer. I just blankly started at the wall above Caiden's head.

"I was out."

I didn't feel like explaining. I was their leader after all, I didn't need to explain a thing.

"Okay, doesn't matter."

Jeramiah just let go of it and I saw Alec nod his head agreeing with a guy.

"The important things is that Colby now knows about the deal."

Tyrell finished and Dorian looked away from him hiding his face. He thought I wouldn't notice, but it was clear he wasn't honest with us.

"So what?"

I said and rolled my eyes. I set down in the free chair and when I looked up everyone was glancing at me like at a fool.

"Devan, Colby is Avery's brother, do you really think he will keep this away from her?"

Dorian finally asked looking up for a short time and quickly came back to staring at the floor. Avery showed up in front of my eyes and I unintentionally gasped dragging everyone's attention.

"It won't change anything."

I don't know if it was me or the pain in my voice was actually very obvious. I couldn't get the picture of the girl, standing in front of me, behind the glass, barely dressed with scissors in her hands, out of my mind. And I couldn't even reach her or help her.

I was the cause of her problems. But I wanted to solve them, the catch was, that shew could have never let me do it.

"What the hell do you mean? He's going to kill us."

Tyrell spoke the truth, but I ignored it.

"Devan, we need to do something-"

Ross was cut off by Caiden. He was all shaking, but didn't fear to look in my eyes.

"Wait..." He made all of the guys silence again. "Where were you, Devan?"

He strangely made my name stand out and I had to check if I wasn't hearing things.

"That's irrelevant."

I coldly replied. Caiden's eyes widened out of anger.

"Where were you?!"

He stood up. Guys unintentionally leaned in a bit. I bet he was the only one suspecting something, others seemed to be too concerned about Colby finding out that deal existed, to notice the weird tone in my voice.

"It's none of your business."

I stood up too and now we were standing few steps apart in front of one another shooting lightning bolts.

"Answer the freaking question we deserve to know!"

I was tired of fighting, I was tired of being strong.

"I went to Avery's."

I admitted and Caiden set down satisfied that he made me confront him.

"But why?"

Jeramiah asked unable to figure out my actions I shrugged my shoulders and put my collar up to make my face less out there.

"I wanted to see her, duh. The bet isn't off, I'm still going to win it."

The guys shook their heads in disbelief. It looked like they were all tired of his game, only Alec had the flames burning in his eyes like at first. So I concentrated on him, he was my recourse to stay calm when everyone was going against me.

"Does she even mean anything to you?"

Caiden spit out very quietly, he was thinking about something very hard. He squished the hat he was wearing earlier in between his fingers and some strange noise went off, he probably broke a clasp.

"She's my ticket to victory."

I lied. I lied not only to them, but to myself too. I convinced myself, it took me some time, but I succeed and now I was almost the guy I pretended to be. Almost. Avery wasn't just a girl that will help me win a bet. But I lied like a coward and didn't regret it.

"You're sick."

Caiden stated as other's watched us fight with our words like some kind of swords. They didn't step in, they just let us handle it. I looked down at the floor and close my eyes.

"Where are you going?"

Dorian questioned surprised when I looked up I saw Caiden near the door. He grabbed the handle and looked back at his friends. Everyone earned a glance except me, I got ignored. Deep inside me some voice was screaming that he is blaming me for what happened.

I tried to shut it down, but it was still yelling. And the worst, I knew he was right. Now I can't even understand why I need that stupid bet. But I made it and I wasn't going to admit my mistake. This heart game wasn't a mistake. It couldn't have been. Could it?

"Out."

He sarcastically quoted me. I needed no translation to understand that he was going to see Avery. Could it be that Caiden, my best friend that I knew for so long he was like a brother to me, actually felt something for the girl that I was going to hurt so badly, when she didn't do anything for me to deserve it? How could I have been so blind?

"You're not going anywhere."

"Oh yeah?"

Caiden jumped in front of me and two pair of hands grabbed him immediately.

"Yes, you're not going."

"And who's going to stop me, you?"

He was shamefully making fun of me. I nodded. I was going to stop him at any cost. Avery needed no visitors at the moment. I couldn't have her, but I wasn't going to let some one else have her either. However, some good feeling warmed my heart suddenly, I felt like keeping Caiden or any other guy from her at the moment was the right thing to do.

"She won't want to see anyone of us."

Jeramiah and Alec sighted, but I could feel them agreeing.

"Or maybe she won't want to see you."

His words just stabbed me. They were honest, and I felt like it wasn't only his opinion it was actually a truth I was running away from.

"Maybe you're right."

I agreed and Caiden stopped trying to get away from Ross and Dorian, who were holding him back.

"I'm still going to see her, if not now, when later."

Caiden whispered and came back to his place. A light knock on the door could be heard and person from behind it pushed in order to make some space to get in. It was Ross's mother. She looked around and seemed to be relieved that no one was in the middle of the fight, had a black eye or something.

"There is someone who would like to see you boys."

She revieled and we exchanged stares where was no one we were expecting.

"Let him in."

Ross nodded to his mother and smiled apologizing for the mess.

"Her."

She corrected him and opened the door widely.

Hey!!! Leave comments and vote if you like the story! Thanks for reading! Love ya♥♥♥

TheBabelle